DIY bowl

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by William232, May 6, 2014.

1. William232

William232 Active Member

Can't decide exactly what I want. Bowl, mug, scuttle... I started thinking I might like one that was a unique one of a kind that I created with my own hands. I'm not interested in pottery enough to take up the hobby but would it be strange if I took a pottery class and learned how to make a bowl, and paint it, and cook it in the kiln, just for one bowl? Just for the satisfaction of knowing that I created that.

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Not at all. I have no clay experience, but I have taken and taught work-shop classes on glass fusing.

Most teach the fundamentals and make a project. But it would have to be more than a day to learn to throw clay, plus drying times and firing etc... You could look at ceramics where you glaze and fire a piece all in one session.

If this is too much, just go to a thrift shop and spend less than a buck on a vintage mug and be done with it.

178-bplatoon and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  3. lilbones99

lilbones99 Member

My father in law does wood turning, I've been thinking of having him teach me to turn a bowl to use for lathering too. And if if goes well, perhaps even some for holding soaps too. :cool:

Slow Joe likes this.
  4. Rod Richeson

Rod Richeson New Member

Our local ceramics place has various objects you paint and they fire. They create the unfinished piece and you pay for that plus the firing. Maybe you could commission something if they didn't have a piece you liked

Rod

5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I think it would be really cool to make your own. When you do either make or buy please share.

6. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

I think it could be a good idea, if you enjoy pottery you might make more things , if not,you still have the bowl you made yourself.:)

7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Or you can buy a bowl & modify it-paint it, rough up the inside or what ever else will make it special for you.

8. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I have wanted to do this somehow, any ideas?

9. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

We have a chain close to us called As-You-Wish I think that does this. My daughter loves going there and painting things, so I asked my wife to have her go pick out and paint me a new lather bowl for Father's Day next year.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Depends on what the bowl was made of. Sandpaper would work for wood or metal.

11. Omelmad

Its just a cereal bowl for now =P

12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

13. Omelmad

14. Peter Cupitt

Peter Cupitt robe-wearing whale shaver

I say go for it. I love overkill. Anything worth doing is worth overdoing and you end up with a super expensive (in either time and/or money) ONE OFF item. You can't beat hand made with care and attention.:happy036:

JPJ likes this.
  15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Is it made of plastic?

Omelmad likes this.
  16. Omelmad

Ceramic i believe its called

17. Peter Cupitt

Peter Cupitt robe-wearing whale shaver

Arggghh. Plastic !!!!

18. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

If it is ceramic, I think some careful sanding would work.

19. mxsloan

mxsloan Member

My brother just got a really nice horn bowl. Not sure how much work it takes to make one of those but it's another option.

20. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I have a buffalo horn bowl too. It makes a nice lather bowl, without any modification.