Do I use cold water on the razor before starting the shave?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by DannyRodriguez, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

To explain further.
    What I do is fill the bottom of the sink just enough to clean the razor after the first pass. I then turn the water on to rinse my face, turn it off and complete my second pass. I do this for each pass which gradually fills the sink.

tuxxdk likes this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Try both. One way will pick you. Most people probably wet their razor before they shave. The main thing to focus on is light pressure and shallow blade angles, and then try different temps until it feels right.

Cold picked me. It makes my skin feel less irritated and swollen, and feel it helps the razor and soap function more efficiently.

3. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Okay. I may have misunderstood it.

I couldn't quite figure out why the reason to fill the sink was to save water during a long shave when the faucet can be turned on and off upon request.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I'll always go the route of using warm warm/hot water by turning the faucet on and off as needed. I like the water warming up the razor and I find it is better at rinsing and dissolving the soap on the razor. I'm frugal with my water usage and I'm worried about swishing the razor in the sink because I might hit the blade against the sink.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  5. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Same reasons for me. Our sink is quite shallow so I definitely hit the bottom or sides if I do that.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  6. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

As soon as I read the question I thought of Millers Crossing. I always thought he was talking about a safety razor. Don't know why.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  7. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

I have always used a sink full of warm water. Although on the occasions where we've ran out of hot water cold water shaving can be quite nice, especially in the summer. I don't think there's any real difference in what temperature you use. Just do whatever you feel comfortable with.

Robyflexx and Bama Samurai like this.
  8. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Whatever works best for you is what I think is the right answer. Each of us have our own way of shaving, some like cold shaves others like warm and others like hot. Your shave is your own "me time" enjoy it. Personally I 'm not wild about a cold razor on my face in the winter, don't mind it in the summer tho. What is said here is just a guide, we all shave a bit different.

Bama Samurai and Robyflexx like this.
  9. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

Some find that a cold water shave prevents razor burns/bumps/whatnots. I just prefer warm for comfort reasons. YM[and preferences]MV. At any rate, I would agree with @jmaier and at least rinse the razor and brush with warm water.

Rather than filling the sink, which I consider a dirty zone, I use a dedicated plastic tub which I place in the sink and fill that with warm water, use it to soak my brush and also to rinse off the razor between strokes. When I'm done, I empty the tub into the toilet. Sink remains clean, no residue or beard stubs left behind = missus happy.

10. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

Personally for me i like to just splash it with hot water right before i apply it to my face...then rinse it with hot through out the shave

11. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Great thread - shows just how personalized we all make our shaving experience. As for me - I spent 30 years in the Army - too many "cold" water shaves and sometimes "no" water shaves. Never again. The hotter the water the better. I fill the sink with hot water. Soak the brush in hot water. Bloom the soap with hot water. Heat my bowl with hot water. Soak a towel in the hot water and wrap my face several times over about a 2 minutes period. Whip up some hot (by the time I'm done its warm) lather. Apply the hot bloom water to my face. Apply the warm lather. Dip the razor in the hot water and start shaving. Rinse with hot water between passes. I might even try heating up the after shave someday.

Jim99 likes this.
  12. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

I put my razor in hot water because it just feels nice and warm on my face... especially in the cold weather we've been having recently. Just personal preference :)

jtspartan, Col C and Jim99 like this.
  13. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Same with me. I like the feel of the warm razor! I fill the sink with hot water, and soak my brush in there as well. Haven't had any problems with banging the razor on the sink...yet

cpool222 likes this.
  14. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

1+. I prefer warm/hot water shaves. I always start my shave by dipping my DE or SE in warm water.

cpool222 likes this.
  15. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Welcome Danny. The Den is a great place to ask questions and get some great advice. Once you settle on your gear you might want to check out the 30 day Rule/Focus thread. I've been wet shaving for about eight months now and I've been here in the Den about two. I've been doing a Focus to determine what blade I'm going to use in my 1971 Gillette Super Adjustable 109. Through the Focus I've met a great bunch of guys. And I'm sure you will too. So load up that DE and get after it!

16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sad. Haven't seen Danny since Feb 1, 2016. Made just 9 posts in his one month here.