Do they hold up?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Steve C, Jul 23, 2017.

1. RyX

RyX DoH!

I like the way you think Steve! I don't have an answer. Quit counting when I was able to discern a comfortable blade from a tuggy one.
    Some manufacturers number the blades 1 - 4. That's left and right, top and bottom. I seldom intentionally flip a blade over. Only time it might happen is if my soap-of-the -day leaves residue on the blade. Trying to maintain my gear I often open up the DE and look for soap scum on the blade or in the razor parts. Keeping the blade free of residue surely extends service life.
    Being left handed has gifted me with a good bit of ambidextrousness. When I pass my razor from one hand to the other I try to use the other side to keep my blade wear even, but it's not something I stress over.
    Since I do what might be considered a 4 pass shave WTG, ATG, XTG (yes, in that order) followed by G-slides and chin buffing I may put more mileage on each blade per shave. I'd judge my beard to be less wirey than some shavers claim. I also shave every other day. My extra attention to each shave gets me a smooth close result that last that long. Being semi-retired and no SWMBO to do quality checks it works for me.

Jim99 likes this.
  2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

So hair type A is gonna get the same number of shaves as hair type B? A guy shaving with a steep scraping angle is gonna get the same as a guy with a shallow slicing angle? Blades are cheap. Use one until it tugs and put in another one. Or change them whenever you feel like it. It's all up to you.

I do three and out with a DE blade. Four or five with a Feather AC type.

Jim99 and Primotenore like this.
  3. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

I quit counting years ago, when I introduced Shavette and Straight Razors into the rotation. It got too complicated to keep track of a blades use when I only used the DE a few times a week (to change up or to heal from an aggressive SR shave).

Now, I use them until they are not sharp enough to provide a clean and comfortable shave - similar to how I use my straight razors. And I normally keep the DE blade in the razor until I am ready to replace it.

Average use is probably between 5-7 shaves for most DE blades, unless I take the time to strop them between shaves. But I usually don't bother with that for a DE razor, since you need to take the blade out of the razor to do so. Usually, if I remove the blade, it is to replace it unless I am experimenting.

Jayaruh - I like that belly stropping technique. I will have to try that, though since I usually shave shirtless, it may be a different experience than you have. I will probably try that with a shavette and a straight razor as well. We'll see.

Otherwise, I agree with the 3-5 shave limit while you are learning. No sense introducing a dull blade into the variables when you are trying to figure it out.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    Jim99 likes this.
  4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I am 4 'n Out kinda guy myself*

* Personna 74's and Gillette Spoilers not included. These I push to at least 10/per

Jim99 and PickledNorthern like this.
  5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I'm always looking for a quality shave, so I'll toss a blade the moment it begins to tug. Lots of variables... how many passes, angle of attack (pilot term), flip the blade, etc. You might be able to use a blade for 30 shaves and, if it works, why not. For me, I want to enjoy a great shave each and every time. Once a blade begins to tug, out it goes. Life is too short to tolerate crappy shaves. It's usually 5 shaves and I feel it.

6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I agree with this. Once you learn technique then you can hunt down a favorite blade.

Flipping a blade does no good at all. It is still the same edge.

I think most DE guys shave a few strokes with one side of the blade...turn the razor around shave with the other side then rinse. I have heard of some that use one side until it is dull then use the other side. That seems silly to me.

EnglishChannel and swarden43 like this.
  7. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

My .02 on this discussion. My shave week lasts from Sunday to Friday. I shave everyday for work, so on Friday the blade gets canned.
    If a blade can't give at least a good Work Week Shave all week, I don't use 'em.

8. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I use each blade twice then toss it. I have several thousand, so I won't be running out in this lifetime.