Do you use hot or cold water?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Oldschoolpaulie, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Gordy

Gordy Well-Known Member

I'm getting ready for my first cold shave. Thought I'd get the learning curve over in warm(ish) water first though. I'm not really an inside person so I spend a lot of time outside, especially in the winter, so I'm actually looking forward to popping this particular cherry. It will certainly make life a little handier in the winter.

2. California Cajun

California Cajun Active Member

I shave cold (ambient temperature), before I take my shower. It is a matter of convenience. Pages 50-52 in this venerable 1905 book Shaving Made Easy (https://archive.org/details/shavingmadeeasyw0020th) discusses cold water shaving as a means of avoiding irritation because the beard is brittle and shaves right off as opposed to a beard that is limp. I get equal results with either hot or cold shaving, but it is something to consider if you are experiencing irritation. It simply reduces the amount of time it takes me to get ready in the morning before going to work.

178-bplatoon, Tdmsu and CyanideMetal like this.
  3. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

I use what comes out of the faucet, neat (no ice). I find that I get less irritation with cold water but see no difference in shave quality.

178-bplatoon and CyanideMetal like this.
  4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I tried cold water shaving but it didn't work for me. I use warm to very hot water. I have a kettle in the bathroom for my scuttle which I use allot in the winter. I do a cold rinse and sometimes rub ice on my face post shave.

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Cold water shaves don't get it for me

6. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I like cool water shaving better. I seem to get less irritation. I rinse the razor in warm water, but I'll try cold tomorrow. I don't ice the water, just whatever comes out of the cold tap.

7. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I recently asked my dermatologist about cold vs. hot water for shaves. He said if you suffer from irritation or razor burn, use cold water to eliminate it. If you don't suffer from irritation, do whatever you want.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  8. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

My next shave I'll try using ice :o

Tdmsu and CyanideMetal like this.
  9. CyanideMetal

There's nothing like walking in from a 98 degree day in TN and dropping ice cubes in the sink for the post shower shave. Mmm, Mmm (Andy Griffith) LOL

10. Dapper-in-a-can-man

I could see Andy doing it. Man, I bet it would be great or..... It may send you into shock.

11. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

It's been a while since I tried a CWS (Cold Water Shave). Didn't like it then. I might try it again. Eventually. Perhaps.

12. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

might, that's why people with High Blood Pressure shouldn't take cold showers.

Dapper-in-a-can-man likes this.
  13. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Possibly? Maybe?

macaronus likes this.
  14. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Could be. ;)

15. Edsland

Edsland Active Member

Hot shave cool rinse, when it's really warm I use my skuttle without hot water in it, other wise hot water in skuttle.

16. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

I do what Technium does.

17. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Potentially?!?!?!?!

18. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Who knows, perchance? It's feasible. If necessary.

19. CyanideMetal

That's the way it worked for me. It took a few times before it stuck.

Tdmsu and macaronus like this.
  20. I'm still mad that Gillette discontinued The Hot One shave cream.

Rufus T. likes this.