Do you use hot or cold water?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Oldschoolpaulie, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Wanted to revisit this old thread, because lately, I've found myself running late and just jumping into the shower and shaving a few times, rather than going downstairs to get my mug of ice for rinsing the razor in ice water between passes. I found that consistently, I tend to give myself razor burn far more with hot water only. It seems the cold blade glides over the skin more easily.

Troy M likes this.
  2. Sly Diabo

Sly Diabo New Member

When it gets hot and humid I start doing cold water shaves.

3. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

I use hot to start and cold through the rest.

Sly Diabo likes this.
  4. Dubs

Dubs Well-Known Member

I see many of you say use cold water, and I've seen some Youtube videos where they use cold water, but not for this guy. I like hot water before, during, lather, and post shave rinse. I've never liked cold water on my face. Maybe I'm mistaken on this but I like the hot water rinse because it makes the pores open up and then I use Osage Rub and/or Aqua Velva. I love the cold menthol feel, but don't care for the cold water rinse. Maybe I'll try a few post shave cold water rinses after I get my M-Bomb in and the subzero cream.

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I'm a cold-water convert.
    I had been a regular hot water & scuttle user for quite some time, but once I got accustomed to the refreshing chill of the cold water shave, I've not turned back.

bnccna2 likes this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

It's your shave. Enjoy it your way.

7. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I have started to rinse my razor and my face in between passes with cold water =D

I THINK it has improved my shaves, I don't know. But it feels good

bnccna2 and Hodge like this.
  8. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I use warm water. I have shaved with cold water plenty of times in the field and hated it. I rinse my face with cold water, but that's about it.

bnccna2 and crackstar like this.
  9. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I do the cold water when it's hot. I use Proraso Green or a Stirling menthol and follow it up with Osage Rub everywhere. Though, now that I think about it, I've got that Barbon AS that's way mentholy too. I'll have to add that.

bnccna2 and crackstar like this.
  10. Dubs, Mr Shaverman: just to clarify, I shave w HOT water, but rinse my shaver in ice water. It makes the blade contract, and glide more smoothly across the skin.

11. Pete E

Pete E Member

Learned to hate cold water shaves in a former life..These days I use hot water and warm lather followed by a cold rinse...

crackstar likes this.
  12. Cap7597

Cap7597 Well-Known Member

Same here. :)

Adonis likes this.
  13. SmurfK

SmurfK Member

I don't see big differences, so i mix them up. Usually hot water in the winter and cold in the summer. Also, if i'm using tallow-based soaps, i feel that they work better with hot water.

14. GSlim66

GSlim66 Well-Known Member

I hardly ever cold water shave until today when my damn ac went down. Cold water shave was very nice. Unfortunately my sweat is now stinging my face and neck. This is BS my friends. But the shave was nice. I've got to get some menthol soap.

bnccna2, crackstar and Dubs like this.
  15. jrjones60

jrjones60 New Member

I use hot water all the way thru and then cold water before the aftershave balm.

crackstar likes this.
  16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Because of the drought conditions in California and subsequent (and outrageous) proposed statewide water rate hikes, I've decided to forego using either hot or cold water and shall be using my aftershaves instead…..

:D

bnccna2 and Troy M like this.
  17. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Hot before and cold to rinse off.

18. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Im slowly starting to use colder and colder water =) it feels good, I thought cold water would make it uncomfortable but NOPE =P

bnccna2, crackstar and CyanideMetal like this.
  19. kyle.b.carlson1

kyle.b.carlson1 New Member

Cold water does feel good sometimes. I actually use hot myself. It opens my pores slightly more and feels better against the skin.

20. bnccna2

bnccna2 Well-Known Member

I'm a recent convert to cold water shaves. Find I get a slightly smoother shave and much less irritation(main reason for switching). I thought I would miss the warm lather but the cold kind of grew on me. It's very refreshing, especially in this Florida heat/humidity.

CyanideMetal likes this.