Do you wash new blades?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BeShaved, Feb 1, 2016.

1. BeShaved

BeShaved Well-Known Member

I just bought a few packs of blades that package kinda ruin because of oil.

I know that new blades always come covered in some sort of oil, to prevent them to rust.

And I noticed that people sell "ancient" blades that is soaked in oil too.

Do you wash them before using? Or even sanitized them?

Arief

2. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

Be careful using old blades I bought some and used one and it broke in two in the razor it didn't cut me but it could have been bad

BeShaved likes this.
  3. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

No washing. Unpack and install. If said blade causes trouble I'd find another one.

Robyflexx, gorgo2, Lfs70 and 3 others like this.
  4. BeShaved

Will keep that in mind.

Robyflexx likes this.
  5. BeShaved

I don't want to get a nick and an infection because the blades' oil is full with germs. Is it really safe?

6. tuxxdk

I have never given it one thought.

But that's me. I'm not that concerned with germs in general when it comes to shaving.

BeShaved, AGHisBBS, Herm2502 and 2 others like this.
  7. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

No need to wash a blade, I've never had a blade that was soaked with too much oil. Not even the old Gillette Blues

Robyflexx, gorgo2, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  8. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

I have never encountered blades with "oil" on them. Some manufactures use a spot of wax to seal the wrapper. For me, this is not a problem. The wax usually melts and goes away after the first hot water shave. Are you able to post a picture of the blades?

Thanks.................

AGHisBBS and BeShaved like this.
  9. tuxxdk

I remember I encountered one brand of blade with slight residue on them but cannot remember which one.

It's not something I've seen as a general thing.

10. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I generally soak or rinse my razor in hot water in order to warm up before my shave. Does that count?

AGHisBBS, BeShaved and Herm2502 like this.
  11. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Me too. I will scrub a vintage razor, but new blades? Nope.

12. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I never have, mostly because I never thought about it. Thanks for giving a germophobe something else to worry about. :)

13. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

I only buy new blades and I don't wash them. But on vintage razors and mugs I give them a lick and a promise type wash. I ain't afraid of no cooties:D.

AGHisBBS, BeShaved and Jim99 like this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Sealed blades, if in good shape, are very likely sterile or nearly so, especially if they were coated in oil before packaging. Even with the oil now dried, I've never worried about an ancient blade that I opened "fresh" myself, and I've used probably close to 100 of various extinct pre-stainless brands.

The slightest sign of rust - which is relatively rare - or opened or damaged wrapping, and it's pitched. No chances taken on that. Not worth it.

The only infection I can recall getting from a blade did come from a vintage one I was carelessly taking out of a razor I bought, but it was obviously used. Nicked my finger, a minor infection set in. Learned my lesson that that one, I can tell ya.

Truly new/recent blades? Have never washed one.

15. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

What brand of blades are they? Some older carbon steel blades may have a small coating of oil to prevent flash rusting but if its soaked in oil it may have been contaminated along the way.
    Before I shave I rinse my razor w/blade under the hot tap to warm it up a bit so I suppose that washes it a bit.

16. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Load it, rinse it, and shave-on..

17. BeShaved

LOL. I didn't mean to do it like that... well... maybe a little bit... because I am a bit of germophobe myself.