Does anyone else have a 1700s Evatt?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by kcb5150, Oct 23, 2013.

1. kcb5150

kcb5150 Member

I've come across one other person so far with an Evatt, but his was branded warranted and seemed slightly younger. Most corroded straight I ever bought. It took a hell of a lot of work to get to this point. Have not attempted getting it honed, though the bevel looks like it may very well be viable. Blasting the scales with bright light indicates they may actually be blond horn underneath the patina, or varnish or we the darkness is. One scale is cracked off at the pivot halfway, so undecided on that. Just curious if anyone here has an example in better shape?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    You might want to repost this thread over at Straight Razor Place (SRP). There are people there who appreciate (and collect) pre-1800's razors.

I'm not saying there are not any of those people here, but you might get more information there. :)

BigT and GDCarrington like this.
  3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Agreed.

4. kcb5150

kcb5150 Member

Thank you. That is where I found the other owner. I don't discount anywhere though. It's always worth trying, you know.

5. kcb5150

kcb5150 Member

Are the guys here down on stubtails? They are super cool

6. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

That's a very cool razor. Sorry, I have no info for you.

7. kcb5150

kcb5150 Member

I actually was kindly provided with some limited data about the maker, I was just wondering if someone else happened to have one. Right now, the scales are what is keeping me from doing anything else to it beyond what I have. If they were slightly more broken I wouldn't feel so bad about it, but it has had them since the 1790s. I may try duplicating them out of some nice hardwood, but I have to work up the will to take the pins off.

8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Gssixgun is going to be the person to talk to. If anyone can do a proper restoration on that razor, he'll be the guy that can do it.

9. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I have a stubby or two. I just enjoy shaving with straights, doesn't matter what kind to me.

10. kcb5150

kcb5150 Member

The weirdest aspect is the thinness of the tang and tail. Pinch grip is the way to go.

11. Dusan

Dusan Active Member

Wonderful looking razor.

12. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Wicked looking straight, I "LIKE" it...:happy088:

13. kcb5150

kcb5150 Member

I haven't had a honing attempt yet. I need to find a scale solution first. Really bums me out to remove original scales form a razor this old.

14. Dusan

Dusan Active Member

Keep it original if possible :)

15. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

16. kcb5150

kcb5150 Member

Typically, that is a french thing. It looks to be in wonderful condition. What is the steel like to hone? I think that would be the acid test, someone who has honed stubtails from a few places before with a mental log of how steel from certain places/era behave.

17. kcb5150

kcb5150 Member

I'd like to, but I fear that the cracked scale is terminal. What is holding it on is the large washer's pressure on the remaining meat of the scale. I have no doubt tightening the pin would hold the blade during a shave should it not crack further, but I have serious doubt it could survive a stropping process.

18. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

I have honed well over 100 razors and this is the one that has given me the most trouble. Almost impossible on a coti or Norton. I have never shaved with it, and I really would like to some day.

19. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

If you can't keep it original that's quite alright in my book. If you plan on using it then I would make some scales in the same dimensions as the original. The blade is in great shape and it would make an excellent shadow box addition.

Just remember it's not everyday you can own some thing that's useable after 200+ years. Just think about how the man who originally purchased that razor must have looked, lived and shaved. Think about how the world might have been back then. You have history that you can use every morning.

20. sgtrock

sgtrock New Member

I agree. I look at this like a car. If it is to be a trailer queen, seen but not touched keep it original. If you want to "drive" it, keep the original feel, but make it usable.