Does anyone else need to shave more often after switching to DE

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Spud, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Hi everyone.
    I have noticed that sense switching to a DE razor I need to shave every second day as opposed to every third day when I shaved with a cartridge. I expect it is because there is no lift-and-cut action with a DE razor, resulting in a whisker cut below the skin surface.
    My shaves are smooth but don't last quite as long. I don't mind as DE shaving is a pleasure but I'm just curious if anyone else finds themselves needing to shave more often.

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

No. I could justifiably shave twice a day using a cart due to growth, but usually once a day using DE or Injector. If it is my 2013 R41 with the right blade I could go a day and a half without shaving since it comes very, very close.

BigT, Boojum1, RaZorBurn123 and 2 others like this.
  3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

no once a day usually good for me.
    I would shave again for an evening event.

but I have noticed that I seen to have developed more blue face.( maybe because of natural aging)
    before wet shaving I only shaved twice a week, or when my wife told/asked me to. now, every day, cause I want to.
    I don't mean to highjack your thread. but,
    DOES WET SHAVING OFTEN CAUSE BLUE FACE?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
    Boojum1, dscaver and BigMark like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nope. I shave every day, but I find I'm smoother longer into the day than I was with carts.

BigT, Boojum1 and macaronus like this.
  5. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Yep I do but my skin nope you don't.

Bristle Me likes this.
  6. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

It might just be perception. Go back to a cart for a week and see if the difference is as much as you think. I'm a head shaver and the main reason I switched to DE was so I could afford to shave every day and do it comfortably.

Boojum1, Norseman and BigMark like this.
  7. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

You are probably right. If I shaved every day I likely would not notice any difference. I shave every second day so perhaps my perception is that I have more stubble because I expect to. As for switching back to a cart, I threw everything out so I have nothing to go back to. I couldn't do it anyway.

Boojum1, Norseman and maltedmilk like this.
  8. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

To be honest, I've never heard of it.

9. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I shave every day for work and have actually noticed my 5 o'clock shadow is less than before. Ran into a friend around 3:00 one afternoon and he asked if I had just shaved. Maybe your technique needs work?

Bristle Me and CyanideMetal like this.
  10. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Maybe red, but not blue?? Maybe an allergy to you're soap/cream?

11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Generally speaking, I don't have to shave more often than I did with a cart, but if I do, I certainly look forward to it and enjoy the process more!
    With certain DEs, I find I can go longer between shaves. When I switched over to more aggressive DE razors vs some of the typically milder old Gillettes, my face remained smoother a good deal longer.

Boojum1 likes this.
  12. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

Been too long ago to be able to give an input on closeness but it is once a day for me.

PanChango and Boojum1 like this.
  13. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

Lol. The reason you don't shave every day with a cart is because it's horrible for your face, and it can't take all of your hair off in one stroke, because of how it uses a yank and hack method to shave your face. If you shaved with a cart everyday, you'd look like a razor bump minefield. You can shave with a DE everyday, because of getting an irritation-free shave. Also, when I used to use a cartridge razor, I still had to go in multiple passes just like I do with a DE.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    Spud, 178-bplatoon and Bristle Me like this.
  14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

When you shave with your DE razor how many passes do you make and in what directions?

15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

"Blue Face" is the result of dark hair on light skin. Even just after a shave, though the skin feels smooth, you can see what looks like 5 O'clock shadow. It has nothing to do with shaving method.

16. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Tell me about it:rolleyes:
    image.jpg

17. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I was just wondering if it had anything to do with frequency?
    or I could be I'm just getting older.

18. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

I've shaved with various cartridges, DEs, injectors, and SEs. If I get a close shave, there is no difference. Hair grows at the same rate no matter what you cut it with. 2 days versus 3 days it doesn't really make a difference since you're still scruffy either way.

19. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I shaved 10-12 times a month when I used carts and now I shave nearly everyday using a DE. When ever I let my beard go for more than a day it looks and feels the same as with the carts, except as GeneralKinetics said there is so much "LESS" irritation(virtually none) using "traditional" shaving methods and a DE or SE razor instead of a cart and can of goo of course YMMV.
    While I certainly feel DE shaving is superior to cart shaving, I also feel proper preshave prep (which I didn't do when using carts) is making "ALOT" of difference also..:)

20. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I agree that it is probably perception. For me, I am much more critical of the feel of my face since I started wet shaving. What I used to claim was a BBS now only gets rated a DFS.