Does Anyone Know About This Vintage Razor?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jarmandc, Jan 19, 2012.

1. jarmandc

jarmandc Member

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what this is. I came across this vintage gillette travel razor, it came in a tiny litte leather case stamped with "Western Germany" on the spine. It also came with a vintage Gillette Super Blue Blade, and a Wilkinson Sword blade in a black wrapper with what appears to be german writing on it. Does anyone know what year this is from? Or anything bout the origins of this type of razor? I've attached some photos. I appreciate it, thanks in advance!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Look like a K4 Gillette Ball-end travel Tech. The K4 would date it to 1940 or 1965 according to this site. With the German writing on it I'm thinking it'd probably be the 1940 during WWII. Looks nice and I'm sure someone with a more authoritative answer will be here soon.

Edit: forgot to mention that the 4 would date it to the 4th quarter of 1940 so somewhere between October-December of 1940 is about a close as you can get for the manufacturing date.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I agree.

4. coche1

coche1 Actively Wishing Member

I don't know what it is or anything about it but it is pretty freaking cool IMO.

5. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Sweet looking little razor! Great find.
    Tried it yet?

6. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Nice find.

7. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

that is nice looking. I had no idea of the size of it until I saw the pic with it in your hand. Wow! that is small. Give it a try and let us know how it shaves.

8. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Tidy looking set, as mentioned already, "Have you tried it yet?"

9. Shayne Redfearn

Shayne Redfearn Active Member

clearly a travel razor :) cool find...thanks for sharing the pics :)

10. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

I'm going to guess 1965.

That looks like a new style Tech head, and Western Germany didn't really gain prominence until the country was divided by the winning countries after WWII.

11. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Your guess would be correct sir. :happy096:

12. newb

newb Resident Newb

+1, what Bill said. I have a few of these sets in the drawer, but I just can't imagine trying to shave with a travel tech.

13. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

It's very usable, especially if you like the shave one gets from a full size Tech. Myself, for travel, I use a handle from one of these mini-Tech sets mated with Gillette single-ring old-type open comb head pieces. Works great.

14. newb

newb Resident Newb

Thanks, I'll have to give them a try someday.

15. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Yeup, a travel Tech. I don't care for the short handle but I heard that once you learn it, it is as good as any other Tech, you just have to get used to the little handle.

16. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

4th Qtr 1965 since it is has a U.S. registration. K 1965 4 Fourth Qtr.

17. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

^^^^ What he said :)

18. cryhavoc

cryhavoc Member

I have one in a blue case and it is a great shaver!