Does anyone use a new DE razor every shave?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by James_P, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I change out blades when needed. Some blades last longer than others. @Bama Samurai mentioned that the sweet spot is typically 3-7 shaves for most people, and I have to agree with that. I have, however, used a blade 20 times before...and transversely have thrown out a blade mid-shave on its very first use.

I see no reason to change blades every shave regardless of price. It is simply a waste of our 2 most precious resources, time and money.

2. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

I only use one brand of blades, Wizamet Iridium Super (blue package) and they actually get smoother after the first shave, with uses 2-8 being very smooth and they last me, at minium, 10 shaves.

9nein9, TobyC and James_P like this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Razor or blade?

9nein9 likes this.
  4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :happy102:

9nein9 and Maximumsmoke like this.
  5. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Generally, I'm in the 5-10 range. Very few razors are under 5 shaves.

I've been switching back and forth between OC and TTO (closed bar) every few shaves, and what I've noticed is that other than the Senator, the OC's have a slightly more flattened blade profile, probably due to the head not being as tall in the center. The TTO's (including the Senator) use a different bending mechanism. While it makes it much easier to get under my nose, there's a different sweet spot on the OLD and NEW than on the SuperSpeed/Aristocrats. So, I suspect that you get fewer shaves because you're not at the exact same angle between the two razors. If you _stayed_ strictly with those, I'd bet your blade life would go back up as you adjusted to the angle.

I'm still trying to get the right camera to take good side photos of the various heads so I can put them in a CAD program.

6. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

I agree about the box cutter, i have opened boxes with a screwdriver but i won't shave with one.
    In other words it's hard to compare the two.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

9nein9, Maximumsmoke and James_P like this.
  7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I could say its like mowing the grass once on a blade then changing. It's a good comparison.

9nein9 and James_P like this.
  8. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

The first shave with a blade is never the smoothest or best, IMHO.

James_P likes this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Not A DE or stainless SE. I find a Carbon Steel SE is smooth from the start though.

10. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Title says razor, but it seems to be blades.

Originally, what we now call a razor, was called a razor handle, and the razor was the blade.

James_P likes this.
  11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That makes a lot of sense does it not?

12. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I find the carbon Feather spineless to be absolutely unusable! I've never tried a Blue Star or PAL, I'll stick with the GEM stainless, don't feel like drying my razor or blade anyway.

Linuxguile and James_P like this.
  13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The feather cs is junk. J U N K I say. Drying the blade and razor is routine for me. The shaves are better to me. I think most who use the CS would agree.

9nein9, Linuxguile and James_P like this.
  14. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Makes sense either way.

15. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I use the Feathers in my Autostrop, and the Gem Stainless Blades in my 1912, and my MMOC, and my bullit Tip Micromatic. I might have to try the Gem Carbon Steel Blades.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I agree the stainless feathers are best. For SE though nothing beats the CS..in my opinion. Try a despined cs SE blade in your autostrop too if it will use one.

17. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

I use a blade per week, but have gone 2 before just because I could.

I get about 6-7 shaves per blade.

I could stretch that to 12-14 but I have enough blades to last into my 90s

9nein9 and stuartganis like this.
  18. James_P

James_P Well-Known Member

I shave my head as well so I assume I will get a shave or 2 less

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9nein9 likes this.
  19. matteob

matteob Active Member

I'm guessing you mean a new blade right? If so the answer is no. I can normally get at least 3 shaves from a blade and double that with a Polsilver. tossing them after just one would be wasteful to me but you are a head shaver too so putting the blade through more work. Should still get a couple of shaves though :)

James_P likes this.
  20. James_P

James_P Well-Known Member

I got about a week and a half with almost everyday shaving my head and face. I think a week would be better it had a bit of tugging towards the end. Oh yes, I meant blade not razor....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk