Does anyone use a new DE razor every shave?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by James_P, Dec 31, 2017.

1. matteob

matteob Active Member

Go for Polsilvers then bud. They seem to have the best edge retention out of all my blades. Or if you fancy being adventurous try a Schick Injector or another single edge that uses Feather Artist blades though that is an expensive business. These single edge blades last a lot longer. I was given an old Schick Injector by a guy on another forum and am getting more into them. It is one of these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schick-Typ...868333?hash=item1a3fb35a2d:g:6HoAAOSwRE5aURVR

Chinese Schick blades: sharp and smooth.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schick-Inj...110083&hash=item41ca481be8:g:LcoAAOxy4c5RoCuj

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Well, there ya go. Fresh blade in every Monday, no more tugging.

James_P and matteob like this.
  3. matteob

matteob Active Member

Basically if you are getting tugging after one full face head shave then just do what's best for you and toss after one use if that gives you optimum comfort.. DE blades cost pennies each anyway.

James_P likes this.
  4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I’ll typically get a solid 5 shaves out of Personna and Astra blades. I’ve gone more, but have never gone beyond 7 shaves.

5. matt.braley.104

matt.braley.104 Active Member

I was getting around 5 shaves per blade using personna lab blues but lately I'm only getting one out of them not sure if it's the winter weather making my hair more coarse but I'm thinking of trying something new any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

6. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I usually get 2 shaves a bade. I used to use one blade a shave for a long time. At $10-$15 a box it still beats the cost of cartridges by a mile.

7. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

I usually get 3 to 5 shaves from a DE blade. SE blades go 6-8.

8. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

After reading junk from you people, I've started changing the blade about once a week. But I feel so stupid!!! The blades I'm taking out are as sharp or sharper than they were when I put 'em in! Why are you fellas doing this? All it does is waste time having to change the blade, and adds wear and tear to the razor, and wastes an endless supply of sharp blades.
    Gee whiz!

EnglishChannel and James_P like this.
  9. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

You could always change your blade when you draw blood. That's a definite sign.

10. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Then don’t change them. Not everyone has the same beard as you. There is a guy on another forum who has gotten more than 100 shaves from a blade. I can feel a difference after four or so. To each their own right?

Primotenore, jeraldgordon and James_P like this.
  11. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Every face is different. Every brand of blade is different. Different blades perform differently in different razors. If you can get a couple weeks or more out of your combination - great. Blades are so inexpensive and with my combination of face, blade and razor - once a week works for me. There are no rules here.

12. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

I will agree with most here, I get multiple shaves per blade.
    Typically with my Astra and GSB the 2nd -6th shaves are the best ones. However, im excited to try the persona lab blues that im still waiting on to arrive. I can get the around 10 shaves with my wilkinson sword and only 3 with my derby.
    I believe though I may be able to extend the life by stropping after each shave, but I dont have that desire to be THAT frugal.

Now on Single Edge blades, im still using my CVS blade and it is on shave 5. Im trying to see how many shaves I can make it.
    Excited to see what the results are.

James_P likes this.
  13. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I found that with care, even when the blade hurts, you can get a shave without drawing blood. The razors stay 'sharp', but what I believe happens is that the microedge itself bends and flexes (as they talk about with straight razors) as it slams into each hair. Eventually, some of those flex points crack, and you end up with tiny shards sticking out that drag along the face. They aren't long enough to draw blood, but the skin is sensitive enough to feel them.

So, you might be able to get an enormous number of shaves out of a blade, especially if your face is somewhat insensitive. Me personally? When they start feeling uncomfortable, I toss them. Now that I can actually find more than the dollar store blades, I'm willing to pay $30 a year and waste some blades. Comfort over frugality - although compared to the plastic waste of cartridges, I'm still frugal!

14. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I have mostly moved to straights. But, when I was doing DE shaves, I always chucked the blade after two shaves.

James_P likes this.
  15. Marine68

Marine68 Well-Known Member

I shave daily. On Sunday I give everything I have used a good cleaning and a new blade. I probably could go longer but I like new fresh sharp blades.

16. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I quit counting shaves per blade a while back. I just use the blade until its uncomfortable and then change it out, whether its one shave or a dozen. That said I usually get from 3-7 shaves per blade. :)

17. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

WOW i seen title of thread and thought "Someone must have a $#@* ton of razors if they're using a new one every shave" .... then i realized you were talking about razor blades :)

James_P likes this.
  18. James_P

James_P Well-Known Member

Lol

Oops yea no need to clean them anymore just use once and toss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LuvWetShavin likes this.
  19. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

In a way that's a waste because I've used blades that seemed rough on the first shave that became buttery smooth on the 2-3rd shaves. I run known rough blades through a wine cork to smooth out the edges. I normally get a weeks worth of shaves out of a blade.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

20. James_P

James_P Well-Known Member

Nice. I really love my DE blades. I’ve tried SE blades and it is rough on my neck. I’ve gotten the angle correct also. I am going to try injectors and see how it goes. I just really like vintage razors. I’ve also tried straight razors and don’t like them lol. I usually get a week out of my DE blades shaving my head and face

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk