Does hand stropping really work??

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Steve_1993, May 13, 2011.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Just timed it - from twisting open the razor, taking the blade out, strop both sides of both edges, return blade, close razor - 26 seconds.

Of course that works out to 2.64 hours in the year that you could find more important things to do ;)

2. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

HA! Good one. Smart alec. :D

So I'll concede the time savings really isn't that important. For me it ended up being a pointless exersize so I stopped. Merely my experience.

3. swarden43

Just messin'. As I say, "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."

4. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

No worries. All in fun.

:happy088

5. themba

themba Member

I have a collection of vintage razors that used proprietary blades like those from Christy, Enders, Rhodes, Durham Duplex, etc. As the article said, using stropping handles or devices that simulated the way a straight razor blade is sharpened, work the best. You have to have the right tool for your particular blade. Ingersoll dollar stroppers for Gem, and Durham Duplex/DE blades work really well. Also Allegro sharpeners are good.

Attempts to strop modern blades do not go well because of their coatings, and also due to the difficulties sharpening stainless steel.

6. napoleon

napoleon Member

I too strop only SE blades. I don't know if it really helps, but it feels like it.
    A few passes before and after the shave.

7. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

it works because you think it works.. kind of like taking extra Vit C. As for corking a Feather AC blade before use now that's a whole other deal.

8. RABIDMONKEY

RABIDMONKEY Active Member

I strop as part of my cleanup ,I think it works

9. Jason1977

Jason1977 Active Member

yeah, I was gonna say, after I take it apart to dry it off, before I put it back together, I hand strop & it's already done for the next shave.

Boojum1 likes this.
  10. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

yes. but only with SE blades.

Most of the available brands of SE blades are carbon steel. the first few times I shaved with that type they rusted rapidly- I was lucky to get two shaves from one blade.

I began hand stropping the blades and I could easily get two to three shaves on a carbon steel SE blade.

even with the stainless SE blades, the blade is usually rusty and unusable after two shaves. With hand stropping I can get up to 5 shaves from a stainless SE blade.

11. swarden43

hmmmmm....

I've yet to have any blade get rusty, even using it only once a week, as I do my SE blades. I had one SE blade sit in a razor for two months of only using it every other week - still no rust.

Yes, I did hand strop. No, I did not take any other steps such as drying the blade or dipping it in alcohol.

12. sas71

sas71 Member

for me..sometimes yes..sometimes no..depends on the blade

13. pablo_h

pablo_h New Member

Nope, never done any good for me. A dull blade is a dull blade, inaccurate hand stropping may make it worse and usually does for me.

14. Steve_1993

Steve_1993 Member

Well the results are in for me, some you aren't going to like this, I tested the Sam combo 3 different times and the result was the same, hand stripping does not work with a derby and SS, made a very small difference if any

15. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

After shaving, while the alum dries, I open my razor, remove the blade, and dry the razor and wipe the edges of the blade dry. Then I hand strop the blade 12 times on each side on both top and bottom of the blade. Hand stropping takes me takes no time at all. It's part of preparing my razor for the next shave.

Bristle Me likes this.
  16. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I'm a palm stropper, geez that doesn't sound right.

I don't do it to extend the life of the blade but for the second and third shave it feels allot smoother if I strop the blade.

Bristle Me likes this.
  17. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Yes, I use the palm of both hands. This video shows how to strop a DE razor blade.

ObiDon and Bristle Me like this.
  18. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

19. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

HoosierTrooper and ObiDon like this.
  20. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I prefer the Magic: The Gathering ones myself Tom ;)

ThreadNecromancy.jpg

HoosierTrooper likes this.