Does your face get red after using a de razor?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by theguitarshaver559, Mar 18, 2017.

1. theguitarshaver559

theguitarshaver559 Active Member

I know after I used my Adjustable my face got red. What about y'all?

RaZorBurn123, Jayaruh and Jim99 like this.
  2. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

That hasn't happened to me in awhile. Excess pressure and sensitive skin could be the cause.

3. theguitarshaver559

I never pressed down with the razor, but I do have sensitive skin.

4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

It could be the shave cream or aftershave that's causing it. Have you switched shave cream recently? I use witch hazel after each shave and I find that helps sooth my skin.

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    May I suggest:
    ZCOLDWATER.jpg
    You will get a very refreshing shave with little to no irritation. Check out the link below.
    Fellowship of Cold Water Shavers

Jim99 likes this.
  6. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I found my face got red after using a coated blade in a non-adjustable razor, but I don't recall what brand it was. I haven't had any issues with the adjustable.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

7. theguitarshaver559

All I have right now is one can of shaving cream. I know, I need some soap and a brush. Looking on amazon right now for a soap brand and brush I can afford.

wristwatchb, Jim99 and lightcs1776 like this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Yes, but mainly due to endless compliments I receive on how smooth and handsome my face is after a good DE shave...
    :o:o:o:D

9. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Keep in mind it doesn't have to be expensive to be good. I understand needing to budget - been there done that, and still watching the funds with kids in college. A cheaper boar or a synthetic will get you started. I picked up a Razorock Plissoft synthetic for my wife to use leg shaving for less than $15. There are a lot of cheap soaps, such as Arko.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

wristwatchb, LOOT and Jim99 like this.
  10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

No.

I get a bit flush using pure Argan oil in a preshave I noticed, that's it. I can easily shave twice a day though, tough skin.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

12. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Go on to Italian barber dot com. You can find an inexpensive soap for under $5 and an inexpensive brush for under $20. You find blade sampler there too. They have decent razors for under $15 ...

13. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I do get red. Sensitive skin and a beard made from 18ga wire. Today's shave I choked up on an aggressive razor , rode the cap and kept the touch of the blade on the face extremely light. It helps a lot. Still learning but a super light touch and a shallow angle on the blade to skin helps.

As for soap and brush, check out Stirling Soap Company. Soaps are great. 1oz samples are $3 and a puck is about $9 - $13 depending on size and whether you need a tub. They also sell a very good

1 oz sample from Stirling will get you between 15 - 30 shaves of multiple passes.

Best of luck

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  14. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Oh, to verify the soap was not the cause, I did a lathering without the razor and let it sit on my face to see if it irritated. TOBS, AOS and Stirling are no problem for me.

I find a pre shave oil helps me but this is not the case for everyone. I make my own with 1/2 part castor oil, one part olive, one part jojoba oil and one part grape seed oil. Pretty much any combo of these and other oils make a great PSO. I find keeping castor lower in quantity keeps it from being sticky. Castor helps to thicken it though.

15. theguitarshaver559

Are you saying my adjustable razor is not good? I hope not. I'm loving the little devil.

LOOT and Jorvaljr like this.
  16. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I'm not saying that at all. You stated you were looking for soap and a brush. Previous you seemed interested in more razors. I'm merely suggesting a place you can find it all for cheap

LOOT likes this.
  17. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Not here.

18. theguitarshaver559

I used Barbasol original shaving cream, the kind you buy from WalMart. I know I should use soap and brush for REAL lather, but I don't know how to make the lather and use the brush.

19. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I started with Art of Shaving medium cream kit. They also have a small kit for $30. The medium was $60 and came with preshave oil, cream and post shave balm that I picked up in a local mall. It was so much better that the Edge sensitive shaving gel that I was using for a very long time. I got 6 weeks out of that medium kit(1.5 oz tube of cream). Then I grabbed Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood cream and that was even better. That is 5oz at $13. I still have lots of it. You know about Stirling soaps already.

As for technique, here in the tutorials section and tons of YouTube videos offer help with lather creation with a brush. Also in the school section they have helped me out as well. On YouTube check out mantic59 I think is his name. There are others with great videos there too like geofatboy (shavenation.com) and Nick Shaves on YouTube.

It is easier than you think and with cream or soap so cheap, take a bowl or mug and go practice!!!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  20. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

When I first started out wetshaving, I'd get red in the face from shaving to much - I have since learned when to stop :o Maybe dial the aggressiveness down a bit?
    These days, any redness (especially when combined with a slight burning sensation) is a sign that I'm allergic to one of the ingredients in the soap or aftershave. It could just be that your canned foam isn't giving your skin enough protection