Don't laugh, but here's my starter kit at the moment

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by chuckorc, Jan 28, 2014.

1. chuckorc

chuckorc Member

I needed to shave last night and since I'm process of getting my razor and blades. I figured I'd at least do away with the gel shave cream and get started on my lather technique. We after going to 3 stores I was able to scrape up a Van Der Hagen boar brush and some Williams mug shaving soap. I found the widest coffee mug I had for a bowl. I used my normal shick hyrdro cartridge to round out the kit.

Definitely have to get my technique worked out and ended up building up the lather on my face instead of in the mug. Maybe I didn't get enough soap loaded on the brush. Either way it's a start and it's definitely worth the extra time. Can't wait to get my razor and blades. I know I'm going to order the sample blade pack the shave den store, now I just need to decide on which razor to start with.
    starter kit.jpg

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

My advice, since you're new to this - put the Williams away for now. It is known to be a very finicky soap and can be a great source of frustration for newbies. It has its followers, but I'm not one - smells like a skeeter-be-gone candle and I never know if I'm gonna get a good lather or not; thin and likes to dry on the face before finishing a pass.

Try and find some Van Der Hagen soap, same company as the brush you have. For short, we call it VDH. Stuff lathers up real easy and provides a great shave. Carried in drug stores and WalMart.

Also might try some Kiss My Face (aka KMF) cream found in some grocery stores, Wegman's, Whole Foods, etc.
    C.O. Bigelow shave cream found in Bath & Body Works over in the Men's section.
    The Body Shop sells a fantastic cream called Maca Root.
    I found Arko in a small Turkish market not too far from where I live.

3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    :signs011: I like Williams, it keeps the skeeters away. I love KMF and the CO Bigelow. Van Der Hagen Deluxe should be easy to find at Walmart. It is a good starter soap as well.

Sir ShavesAlot and Slipperyjoe like this.
  4. mld202

mld202 Member

You should be able to c.o.bigelow (a pretty good menthol cream, creams are easier at least for me than soaps) at a bath bath and beyond, you can Wilkinson swords at some as well.

I don't know how you are set for a razor but you get a shave factory tto at sallys beauty supply if you cant wait.

As for blades they are more excess able than i originally expected when i started. You can get repackaged personna reds at sallys, cvs, and I've heard walgreens good luck

5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I think Williams is a very good performer - as a shower soap. ;) Seriously, at the beginning it's not necessary to go with anything expensive. A friend of mine started traditional wetshaving at the age of 60 and I gave him some fantastic stuff which costs not even two bucks.

6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Everyone starts somewhere. Very nice start!

SRNewb, Bristle Me and Aimless1 like this.
  7. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Seriously? Great! We have one locally here. Didn't knew they carried such goods!

8. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

May I ask what store you found the shave brush?

9. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I agree with "swarden43" for a locally available,inexpensive,easy to lather and very good performing shave soap go with VDH Delux..Then if you'd like another fantastic performing,yet inexpenisve soap you can order some Arko online..(caution: while I like the smell of Arko, some people don't)..

Two other things to pay mind to, while VDH is a melt and pour soap and as such can be melted(8-10 sec bursts) in a microwave inorder to make it fit a specific sized bowl, Arko is a tallow based soap and shouldn't be melted in the microwave. If you want it to fit a particular bowl it should be grated and mashed into the bowl....:)

10. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

The white-handled VDH brush is actually pretty decent. I've only seen them at CVS so if you've found another source, let us know.

chuckorc and crackstar like this.
  11. droberts0503

droberts0503 Well-Known Member

For the razor I had a hard time trying to figure it out, then somebody here recommended the Lord L6 and I'm glad they did. Its around $11 from Amazon and has been great so far. It may not be as fancy or heavy as others but I'm finding it to be a great transition razor. If you do order it from Amazon, consider picking up the VDH luxury shave set. Its about $25 and has a stand, soap, nice badger brush and a mug for the soap. With the sample blade pack, those things and what you have already you'll end up with multiple options that will last a long time at a $65 or so investment.

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  12. fdce54

fdce54 Member

Welcome to DE shaving and the forum. I find myself becoming highly addicted especially to shave creams. What you have there is a start. You'll move up to better things. I myself love to go through the Shave of the Day forum to see what other members have and use.

13. chuckorc

chuckorc Member

I didn't even think to check at sally's beauty supply. I hit 3 walgreens last night and couldn't even find a brush. I lucked out at the cvs next to my house. I'm going to hit a few more tonight and definitely stop in Sally's.

Thanks for the tip!

14. chuckorc

chuckorc Member

At CVS Pharmacy, it like Walgreens

15. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Williams will deliver a performance as good as any other soap, it just takes some time to master lathering it.

michael54 likes this.
  16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Which is why I recommend newbies tableing it for an easier soap to lather.

17. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Man, all thease guys hit the nail on the head with the VDH, great stuff and they're all spot on. Super easy to lather. start with a sopping brush, swirl on puck till you hear a smacking sound and slap on mug and WAMMO! Explosive lather.
    Another awesome suggestion was Sallys, they carry a descent selection of blades (stay away from Derbys) and even a tto razor that looks good and shaves like a super speed.
    Seriously must applaud all the guys above. Thats why I love this forum, the veterans are awesome.

18. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    You must have a good Sally's. All the Sally's in my area only carry Derby's, some aftershave, and a real cruddy looking double edge razor that is way overpriced (can't remember right now which razor it was, but I knew what it was when I looked at it).

19. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Mine only carries a few bottles of Masters AS and Derby half blades for shavettes. No brushes, no razors etc.

20. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    The razor and blades I saw were behind the counter. Maybe your Sally's had them hiding even more?