Don't laugh, but here's my starter kit at the moment

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by chuckorc, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Here in Panama they carry Personna, Derby, and another brand of de (the brand escapes me)
    Pinaud Bay rum a.s. feather blades (all types)
    Shavettes, and a tto made by Shave Factory for $10.00.
    I started 2 of my 4 boys on that razor, solid performer, No Gillette or EJ for sure but I still have a few of them floating around and they still work.
    Worth $10.00 all day. Every bit as good as Weishi (may be rebranded Weishi) dont know.

Carries other a.s. too, clubman etc.
    They also carry 1 brush, never looked too close, it was $31.00 and had a clear handle. It's with the neck brushes. They carry I think about 6 different shavettes and all the blades.

2. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

In my experience, building lather in a bowl or mug using a VDH boar brush (regardless of which soap you use)
    requires a bit more elbow grease and a slightly different technique than when using an Omega or Semogue boar.
    Hold the brush a bit loosely using the thumb and three fingers. Push the bristles down in the mug very lightly
    and make your brush movements away & back for several strokes, and then left and right for several strokes.
    For me, circular strokes just stirred the soap but never built any lather. The "X" pattern executed briskly worked
    much better. Remember to allow that brush to "float" in your grip!
    I have no experience with Williams soap so I cannot comment on its performance.
    I am a firm believer in the Van der Hagen Deluxe though. It surely is an excellent performer, and a bargain to boot.

Best of luck to you and don't worry about your starting effort, I think you're doing just fine.

:signs046:

And, :bounce017: Happy Shaving!

3. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Try using a sopping brush,and swirl fast. I find most people used to hard pucks are in the habbit of loading only the tips and adding water along the way. Not necessary with VDH, start with a sopping brush from the get go and you're set.
    Honestly, use MUCH more water in your brush than you think you'll need.

chuckorc likes this.
  4. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

That method works for some people. I've tried it before with favorable methods. However, I prefer to use a damp brush because it's easier to add water than it is to take it away. YMMV.

Cool Breeze likes this.
  5. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Nice starter kit. Looks like you have a lot of good advice here. So I'll just say :signs046:. I look forward to seeing you round out your kit and develop some acquisition disorders like the rest of us. :happy102:

maltedmilk likes this.
  6. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Are you using a boar brush? If you have tons of water, try swirling until it gets thick and sticky, it makes a "smacking" sound when its properly loaded. It will make WAY more lather than you need that way.
    I afk about the brush bec you can do it with either but I prefer a badger, it holds more water.

7. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Thank you. I can't find any of those white handled brushes anywhere in my area, including CVS. I think the white handled brushes are the best of all the VDH brushes. Once you get yours broken in a little I think you'll really like it.

8. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

CVS will order you one if you ask. I have also gotten VDH badger brushes from Walgreens, the warehouse stocks them and the store mgr. will order it to be sent to your store on his next truck.
    I love the VDH badgers

BigT likes this.
  9. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. VDH boar brushes are all I use. I know many people don't care for them but they work great for me.

Cool Breeze likes this.
  10. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

Regarding a double edge razor, the best starter razors in my opinion are the Gillette Tech, Gillette blue-tip SuperSpeed, or the Schick Krona. You can get a good shave with these without the nicks and cuts you might get with a more aggressive razor. you can find these here, or on ebay or sometimes in a local antique shop.

11. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

I also love the VDH brushes, I've heard of them shedding but I've never had that issue.

12. Dusan

Dusan Active Member

Why laugh? That is for sure a LOT better than can of goo.

How would you compare your first shave with soap and brush, compared to using gel or foam you used? Did you found it was less irritating, smoother, closer or worse?

13. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Agreed. It's the only way I can load the brush properly with VDH.

Cool Breeze likes this.
  14. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I have seen them in CVS Pharmacy.

Welcome to the forum.
    I do not see anything wrong with your starter kit. You do what you can afford.
    "Improvise, Adapt, Overcome"
    Semper Fi

15. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

I have seen the white handled boar in both of the CVS pharmacys near me. I have also seen the blue/black handle boar from time to time as well.
    The manager at Walgreens was more than glad to order me a VDH Badger as the warehouse stocks them. It was delivered to his store two days later where I picked it up. Because I had the Walgreens reward card, he gave me $10.00 off as well.

Agree with Patrick, nothing to laugh at. You gotta start somewhere, just glad you made the switch. The best addiction you'll ever love.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  16. Ryan B

Yes, I use a Turkish #6 Brush. It's advertised as horse hair, but it's clearly boar and I refuse to call it a horse hair brush. I always use more cream or soap than usual because I have hard water.

I don't think I was very specific on what I meant. Communication error on my part.

The method I am I meant was having a soaking wet brush and lightly swirling your brush on top of a puck of soap or tub of cream. It's been used by barbers in Italy since forever.

tuxxdk and Cool Breeze like this.
  17. michael54

michael54 Well-Known Member

I find that ironic coming from the guy who swore off boar brushes a few months back because they irritated his face. Didn't you get rid of your semogue?? :p

JRod22 likes this.
  18. JBSharp

JBSharp Well-Known Member

You've gotten lots of great advice and I like your approach - start with what you can get and enjoy the ride. That was my exact kit: a VDH brush, Williams, and a bowl out of our cabinet. That's basically what I still use, with some experimentation. Williams is kind of love/hate around here. You may want to go with a cream or even the VDH soap after you give it a try. Enjoy.

Cool Breeze likes this.
  19. michael54

michael54 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the den btw!! Im sure almost all of us have started modestly. I started with a concorde de vdh brush and co Bigelow cream. Now my wife rants at how much shave stuff I have lol. My biggest tip would be take your time and enjoy it. My nightly shave is my me time to just unwind from a hectic day.

chuckorc and Cool Breeze like this.
  20. Ryan B

The Semogue has been decommissioned. I like boar brushes now that I actually have one that's broken in. I think my Semogue was a dud.