Don't skip aftershave!

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Engblom, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

I have been wet-shaving for 20-25 year, in the beginning with cartridges and disposable and since Christmas 2012 with DE. During this time I have very rarely used any aftershave as I really hate artificial fragrances. It is almost like I can not breath.

Despite good razor technique, I recently begun to get a real problem with my follicles. Even with many days of rest for the face, it was just painful to even touch the stubble with my fingers. When talking about the problem, people just chime in with the usual advice, like "ease the pressure and go shallow". I really had zero pressure and the angle was as shallow as it could be, so I could not improve when it comes to those factors.

After a lot of Google usage, I came to the conclusion I have been getting some kind of infection in my follicle, which gets extra painful after each shave. I realized that alcohol should kill bacteria, so I decided to make my own aftershave.

I am a person never drinking any alcoholic beverage, so I did not know what to ask for at the liquor store. I asked for the strongest stuff they have and got home with 2.5dl of 60% vodka. That was quite expensive, 20 EUR, but I had to test my theory. To this I added some tea-tree oil, some lavender oil and some jojoba oil. It got dissolved into the vodka.

Now I have been using this aftershave and my problem is almost completely gone. So after this anecdotal story, my advice is to never skip the aftershave and if you are like me, hating perfumes, make your own! Also, keep your razor clean by rinsing it in alcohol. There might be nasty things growing in it.

2. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

You could switch from vodka to dark rum during "speak like a pirate" day...

image.jpeg

mylesc1234 and Joef like this.
  3. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Some other nearly scent less options:
    Lucky Tiger Face Tonic, its citrus scent will be gone in 30 minutes. Excellent stuff IMO
    Witch hazel- 14% alcohol as a rule and nearly scent less.
    Mr. Fine Snake Bite - a basic alcohol and menthol kick in the head.

There are others but these are mine.

Engblom and Joef like this.
  4. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

And, if things didn't get better, you could always start drinking your aftershave to "ease the pain". (Sorry, couldn't resist a bit of irreverence.)

Billyfergie, mylesc1234 and Joef like this.
  5. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Do you know the alcohol content of this one? It seem to be just alcohol, water and menthol crystals. I do have menthol crystals myself, so I could make this one easily if I knew the percentages.

6. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I don't. It does seem super simple though. I can't imagine not getting close with a little experimentation.

7. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Bravo. Vodka works well as does rum and most other ethanols. You don't need a high alcohol content so but the cheapest vodka you can get. Try throwing I done clove oil, cinnamon sticks, orange or lime juice. This is something I encourage you to study and have some fun with.

Being in Europe you should be able to get Witch Hazel to add 50/50 with the alcohol and it makes a fine aftershave.

Engblom likes this.
  8. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Not only do I like making the Bay Rum with Jamaican Rum, Bay oil Olive oil, Cinnamon, clove, vodka and witch hazel but just vodka or alcohol, witch hazel, cinnamon, olive oil and clove makes a nice aftershave oh and a bit of glycerin

9. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'm glad to see this advice, as they say that with Gillette Barbershop-Fresh Foamy, you don't need aftershave due to the barbershop smell.

10. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

I agree with that statement, and even though I vary the kind of aftershave I use daily, I never skip it altogether.

Joef likes this.