Dorco Platinum Extra (st301)

Discussion in 'Blade Reviews' started by NoobShaver, Jun 13, 2008.

1. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Dorco blades are Korean made. They come in two varieties, st300 and st301. This review is for the st301 (red package) type.

Review criteria is as follows: I assumed that 5 across the board was completely average. So a 5 is not good or bad, but instead flat average. Also, as blades go "Derby Extra have I loved; but Sharp Stainless have I hated." So there are my biases.

Sharpness: They're on the Feather blade end of the sharpness scale, but they're not *that* sharp.

Longetivity: They last long enough. 3+ day of shaving for me.

Skin-Friendly: Here's where they shine. Super skin friendly. I got an irritation free near BBS shave with a Gillette adjustable set to 3 on my first try. I had been using Zorrik blades for the previous 3 weeks and the contrast was stark. I find Zorriks to be harsh and unforgiving. Dorco st301's are smooth and gentle. As I said before, no irritation.

Quality: No problems here so far. I'll update if I find defective blades in the pack.

Price: Cheap. You can get 100 for around 15 dollars (US).

Summary: Try them out if you're looking for a cheap, very sharp, high quality blade.

2. ST301 and ST301 Review

Hello All,

I have come to know this blades like no other and this is what I have reviewed. I have given a little history just to add!

First lets separate the two: ST300 and ST301.

"ST300 is the cheaper model since it uses carton packaging and is slighly lighter than the ST301. Blades in both are the same, just with different packaging. "

:cool:After investigating further, I am told that the ST301 are actually different blades. They are higher in quality and you can tell the difference right away compared to ST300. See attached picture for item ST300.

I appologize for the confusion and I hope it is now resolved.

The correct name for this are : DORCO PLATINUM STAINLESS STEAL BLADES.

They are both Manufactured By: DORCO KOREA

There was a time when ST300 used to look like ST301, but with Carton Packaging, but then Dorco Korea decided to change to look for it.

ST301 has a plastic protection packaging and plastic holder. If you put your tumb in the middle you will be able to release the blades faster instead of taking the carton packaging off. This is a little bit pricy than the original ST300 and they were introduced 2007~2008 to USA.

Regarding Price, well you can get them basically anywhere and they are not expensive at the moment since they have an introduction price. As far as I know they are about $10.00 for 100pk.

Quick Info:

I have not used the Derby blades, but my barber has. Boy!!! They are rough, the green color ones... I wouldn't use it on my face. I even got a rash and scratches on the neck and sides... Next time I will let my barber know not to shave me with those blades...

I hope this has being helpful! GO DORCO! :).

Dark:D

Attached Files:

3. soulshine

soulshine Flower Power

Morning Gents,

I traded for a few of these blades here not because I was looking to change from my Derby blade or anything, I was just curious.

The first shave with this blade was outstanding! I barely felt the blade moving across my face. At first I wondered if the blade was cutting any hairs so I checked after the first pass and it was just about BBS. I lathered just a bit more for a second pass and the results were great. What normally took 3-4 passes with the Derby were attained in only 2 passes. Figuring the shave gods were smiling on me that morning I gave it a go the following morning and can report the same results. It has now been about 2 weeks of using Dorco blades and I have sold off all my Derby Blades and am using this one exclusively. I always had to be cautious when using the Derby blades as the first shave with a new blade resulted in weepers or irritations - I could not get a super close shave. With the Dorco I have had zero irritation - even in the tough spot under my chin where the hair growth is kinda all over the place. I would normally feel some stubble by mid afternoon and now I don't feel anything till at least sometime around the time I get home from the office.

"iamdarkangel2005" posted about this blade here and he sells them at Ebay for around $15 for 200 blades - a bargain for certain. I have used Derby, Feathers, Crystal, 7 AM, Personna, Treet, Sharp, Merkur, Wilkinson's and a few others I am sure I am forgetting and the Dorco's have worked the best for me. iamdarkangel2005 also provides excellent service - the blades were shipped moments after I ordered them and made it here to Wisconsin in 2-3 days. I think a 10 pack on Ebay will set you back about $1 - well worth the cost to give these blades a try.

4. Churchill

Churchill New Member

I received 100 of these blades from "iamdarkangel2005" in a contest he held on the forum.I had previously used the Dorco 300's and wasn't impressed,so I really wasn't expecting much from these.Well,was I surprised.These blades were as smooth as IP's but a tad bit sharper.I had no irritation even after an agressive 3 pass shave.In the quality versus price category I think these blades are one of the best buys on the market.

5. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I was convinced by a fellow member to try these since I had such a bad experience with the 300's. The first shave which was in a Rocket was horrible? I stopped after the first pass and went back to my personna red packs. Dont give up.....I put the same blade in a 59 Fatboy on 3 and what a differerent story. Very smooth and forgiving. Basically like other blades that I have had problems with....just lightly cork them:) It seems the second shave is much better. After using this blade for a full cycle....7 shaves. I was impressed. I still will go to my red personnas but found a very fine alternate. I wasnt ever able to get BBS but damn close. 0 cuts or weepers though so that was good. Definetely recommend especially for the price!

6. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Excellent in the right razor

Sharp - Sharp, but not so much as to be unforgiving
    Longevity - Lasts 4 days for me, most blade are 3 days
    Skin-Friendly - Depends on the razor, excellent in my SuperSpeed, not so much in a knack
    Quality - still on the first package, but no bad blades yet
    Price - On the cheap end, and great for the blade you're getting.

7. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

These were my go to blades when I shaved with vintage Gillettes. They were smooth and very kind to my skin. Not the sharpest available and the longevity is lacking but for the price you can't go wrong. These are very different than the Dorco 300's.

8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

These blades to me are quite decent, they sure are forgiving, but after 2 shaves, I find I have to change them. The price is excellent.

9. akhorosh

akhorosh New Member

They are pretty good blades. I still prefer Feather and Gillette 7 O'clock Sharp Edge to them.

10. gawga_boy

gawga_boy Member

I found the Dorco 301 no better than the Dorco 300 - Dull and pulls rather than cuts. As for longevity, I don't know as I couldn't stand to more than 1-1/2 pass on my first blade before changing to another brand blade in my sampler pack.

11. Gasher

Gasher New Member

A good shave

Bought a blade sample pack from Connaught Shaving... This Dorco blade lasted for two shaves (for me) first shave was awful - second one was actually excellent. I think I did not spend enough time in shave prep for the first one. It might sound odd but the blade felt smaller than most so I had to change the angle that I shave at - this resulted in the good shave - felt very sharp. Lasted two shaves which is the maxiumum for me.

12. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

These are my favorite blades. I've found others that work nearly as well, but none that work just as well at the same price point. These blades are so good that they have me comparing everything else that I try to them. It makes me sad that these blades are not discussed all that often, and when they are it is to compare them to their lesser brothers, the Dorco ST300s. These blades stand on their own and would have a much better reputation if they could come out from behind the shadow of the Dorco ST300s. I am one of the few who has no real issue with the 300s, but the 301s are a far superior blade that deserves a chance that its relation to the 300s just doesn't allow for.