Dorco ST300: Not For Every Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Westaway, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Westaway

Westaway New Member

It was recommended that to tame my new Muhle R41 (2011) that I should use the Dorco blade. It didn't work at first, at least on a first pass situation. I had already had good results with the proper angle and Astra SP blades by the time the Dorco order arrived from Amazon.

This turned out to be a puzzle for me. The new Dorco blades did not work in my Merkur 34C or Muhle R89. Brand new and uncomfortable. They didn't work in the Muhle R41 (2011) on a first pass basis.

This morning I loaded my Muhle R41 (2009) and the blade gave a satisfactory performance. I could tell it was not quite as sharp as others I use but the shave was comfortable for two passes. Then I re-lathered with the Cella and used the more aggressive R41 for the final pass with the Dorco..... ABSOLUTELY NO PRESSURE. It worked fine and there were no weepers or razor burn anywhere.

????????????? Oh well. :confused:

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I like the Dorco 301s; can't stand the 300s.

3. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

+ 1

4. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

The 300s work just fine in my Fat boy and both of my 1958 T.V. Specials, not worth a hoot in my Krona. Don't understand why.

5. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

The Dorco ST300 blades worked very well for me in a Merkur 34C - very mild and easy to learn with, an excellent first blade. They worked much less well in an Edwin Jagger DE89. It might be that some folks are trying the ST300s in one razor, proclaiming it the bee's knees, and peeps assume it works well in all razors. Not to mention the 'your mileage may vary' factor.

6. Westaway

Westaway New Member

I ordered a 100 count of both Dorco Blades. I have yet to really distinguish between them except for the size of the printing on the blade. Both are pressed in Vietnam. They both dull fairly rapidly. My incentive for buying them was at a member's suggestion to use in my R41 (2011), Now that I'm comfortable with the angle and have learned not to have any pressure on the skin whatsoever.... I've been putting decent blades in the Muhle with good results. So far my favorite blades are out of the Gillette Factory Holding in St. Petersburg, Russia. :)