Dorco Stainless..how to make them work

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by poppi, Aug 6, 2008.

1. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Hey Y'all,

I've been working my way through a sampler pack and have reached Dorco Stainless blades and they are not working for me. Lousy first shave, worse second. Using them in a Gillette SS

Does anyone use these blades with good results?? If so, what razor, cream/soap, etc do you use that might help me out.

Thanks in advance and enjoy

2. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Is your angle correct?

Lather all nice and wonderful?

Pre-shave prep done (face scrub, preshave oil, hot towel, etc)?

How's the pressure that you are applying to the razor?

If all of these are good then your face may not agree with the blades. My face does not agree with Derby or Crystal.

Define bad shave. Red and nasty, a bloody mess, etc.

3. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

What other blades have you used so far? And are these Dorcos in a red pack, or a blue pack?

I use Dorcos with average results. I use Susie's Bubbles shea butter and goat milk soaps. I use a 1970 Gilette Adjustable set to 5. I find that Dorcos are roughly equivalent to Crystals or Israeli Personnas, although they're a little bit harsher.

I'm betting this is a case of YMMV (your mileage may vary). Sharp Stainless blades don't work for me but they produce great results for others. Dorco blades may not work with your face. :D

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    The blade and razor combo might not be compatible, too.

5. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Hmmm....thanks for the input folks.

Define bad shave = rough stubble left behind after a three pass shave with a goodly amount of skin irration.

As for prep, it's the hot towel to face for about 3 minutes, wash with Musgo Real preshave soap, use a Van der Hagen deluxe boar brush with Col. Conk almond soap and get a killer lather. This is the same setup I used with Crystal and Derby Extra adn got great shaves. I've check my angle. length of stroke, pressure, etc. to no avail.

I'm thinking of trying my Gillette slim adjustable with this blade, set the razor at 4 or 5 and see what happens.

It may just be that my face doesn't like Dorco's. We'll see tomorrow

6. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Well, tried the Dorco Stainless in my Gillette Slim adjustable, setting at 3 (thought I'd go conservative first time out with it). Used the same prep as listed previously.

Results? = a much closer shave, probably about 90-95% bbs but with lots of irritation and a couple of nicks that I blame myself for since it's a new razor to me.

Conclusion? = will use them in a pinch but definetely not a favorite. Won't buy them again.

7. Poppi,

There are so many people with blades not being so good on their skin. I guess your skin doesn't like the dorcos. Just like my skin doesn't like the derbys. Though it might be an idea, you should try another safety razor. Perhaps this might help out!

Good Luck!

Dark

8. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Some blades just dont work as well in some razors. When you buy some other razors you can try the blades again and see if you like them but if you dont, dont worry about it. There so many different blades out that that not liking one brand doesnt mean much. I personally dont like many of the popular blades out there.

9. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comments folks. Yeah, dorco's might work better in a different razor. I've got a Gillette Tech 3 piece on the way. Will try again with that razor and see what happens.

If they don't work in that razor, bye-bye blades.

10. Hi there,
    I can think of a few possible reasons for your troubles. See what you make of this.
    First, there's two different dorco blades out there. They make a '300' and also a '301' type. The 301 is platinum coated, and I believe is ground differently than the 300. That 301 is the one averaging better reviews, and I can send you out a few of those if you only have the others.
    There's an excellent thread created by 'Squire' over at SMF that's all about different blades. Lots of pics, which is always nice, and a good read.
    The other possibility would be that neither of those are suited to your face.
    Hope that helps,
    Martin

11. lab1dobie

lab1dobie Member

I've been using Dorco 300's in my Gillette SS and get a pretty good shave with them. Maybe you got a bad batch. It happens.

12. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

SIS yes, these Dorco's are the ST300's and, for me, not working. Going to move on to others I have to try out. Thanks for the offer though. Tomorrow will be red box personna's in my trusty 57 SS.

13. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

There are too many different kinds of blades out there to spend too much time trying to make one brand work. I've worked my way through two sample packs now and I find myself sticking with Derby.

If you're trying to satisfy curiosity AND you're enjoying the search then you might try the Dorco ST 301s. They are different and you might have better results.

But if you're just looking for a reliable standby, then I'd recommend you stay with Derby.

14. sturgeon

sturgeon Member

Dorco 300's

The Dorco 300's I got in my sampler didn't work for me AT ALL. I tried 2 blades in 2 different razors and threw the rest out. Terrible shave with irratation and pulling. I have butter knives that are sharper!

Tim

15. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Thanks again everyone. I have moved on and, upon reflection, will not go back to the Dorco ST300's.

Tried the red box Personna's this morning and liked them. So many to try, so little time

16. lab1dobie

lab1dobie Member

Right now I use Dorco 300's from my sampler pack in my '56 SS and get nice shaves. Haven't gotten to the rest of the pack yet to make a good comparison but so far I've had good luck.

17. Guys,

You should try the ST301, both the ST300 and the ST301 are platinum coated but the ST301 feels better and comes with a plastic recycling blades which can be put on the back after use. Personna and ST301 are kind of the same in quality, let your face judge it. :).

See you guys later,

Dark