dove cream soap bar

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by emmijack, Sep 8, 2012.

1. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

IMAG0120.jpg
    Has anybody tried this for shaving, I did this morning and wow, what a close luxurious shave, it has to be on a par with MWF with regards to skin care, I'm not saying that I would ever give up the fat, you would have to prise it from my cold dead fingers, but this cream bar is excellent, with loads of lather loaded on my semogue 830, this gave a fantastic shave!!!!.

Attached Files:

Sir.$-Mad, Shaver X, Jim99 and 4 others like this.
  2. ajsaxs

ajsaxs Active Member

Dove is great for shaving. Very nice lather and zero skin irritation. Works well for me.

crackstar likes this.
  3. I Call It Maize

I Call It Maize Well-Known Member

I would bet there are several "normal soaps" out there that shave nicely! Just a matter of someone giving them a whirl...

4. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

It's good to know someone else finally discovered the merits of regular soap for shaving. Many of the newer fatty soaps like Dove, seem to have greatly enhanced moisturizing properties and produce an exceptional lather. I started many years ago, when I first discovered the regular stuff was just as good if not better than the Williams I was using. I've since graduated to an all natural bath soap that is just amazing for shaving...

Jim99, crackstar and GeneRector like this.
  5. GeneRector

GeneRector Active Member

:) Howdy! I will put a bar of Dove in my rotation. Always, Gene

6. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

I always keep a bar of dove at work for my shower after my shift (Prison soap isn't the best) I love the smell of it , and the skin conditioning properties, it's now in my rotation for shaving too!!!!!

crackstar likes this.
  7. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

What is the soap that you use?

8. Slipperyjoe

9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Nubian Heritage Coconut-papaya soap bar does nicely in a pinch. Altho, I wouldn't necessarily use it everyday as it's not quite as cushiony as shave soap on my face.

10. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

Pears glycerin soap isn't that bad either. Its pretty slick; not so cushiony however.

11. Williams Warrior

12. Williams Warrior

Just bought a Dove bar at Walmart this morning and will give it a go next week.

13. Slipperyjoe

Do let us know how it goes...

14. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Hey, many times I'ved used a brush to lather Dove soap and it works well. I still prefer a real shaving soap.

15. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Lemme refresh an old thread.

I just picked up a pack of Dove Beauty Bar (apparantly the Men-series is unavailable here in Denmark, go figure!).

I thought of using it for the hair, face, body, the lot. As in - the one and only shower soap.

Anyone tried that?

16. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Aside from a hefty perfume amount in the bar, I lathered hair, face and body today. It was a blast. Hair feels fine, and so does face. Great shave afterwards.

I'm looking for an one-and-only soap in the shower cabin, and this might fit the bill!

17. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I loathe the Dove scent, but they do make an unscented version. It works well as a shaving soap, though. I recall a number of other people saying as much, and first heard about Dove being used as a shave soap decades ago. The CVS Sensitive Skin Beauty Bar (Unscented) works even better in my experience. They are not as good as the very best shaving soaps, but still quite good. Traditional wetshaving need not too much trouble or expense.

18. flaxton

flaxton Active Member

is this any good for a beginner or should i stick to shaving soap.

19. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Dove will work for both beginners and experienced shavers alike. It works well enough, although it is not the very best shaving soap. If you are still developing your technique, it might be best to stick with an even better shaving soap, such as Van Der Hagen Deluxe. Of course, you could always try Dove and see what you think. In case you are interested, my review of Dove as a shaving soap is here. A review of the CVS Beauty Bar, CVS' store brand countepart to Dove, is here. Hope this helps answer your question.

20. Sir.$-Mad

Sir.$-Mad Well-Known Member

Hmm....fascinating.