Dr. Jon's Hydra

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Demidog, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I recently got around to trying Dr. Jon's Hydra soap and I'm really impressed with the results after using it for a few shaves. Out of the two scents that I ordered, 1803 is my favorite by far but Hydra is still really interesting as far as citrus scents go. I just chose to save the best for last, so I went with Hydra first.

From what I've read, a lot of people swear by tallow soaps but I've gotten equally as good if not better lathers out of Hydra, which is a vegan soap. I don't know the proper term to use but what really separates this from the other soaps is the substantial amount of "cushion" that it provides. Cushion is a confusing term because at the end of the day, the blade is still making contact with your skin in spite of your soap or cream of choice. Whatever term you choose to use to describe this, it essentially just makes it more comfortable to have a razor up against your face.

The overall presentation is really awesome as well. The soap comes in a tin with some catchy artwork, and I love having this on display even though it's pretty much only me who sees it. There is also some color coordinated tape holding the lid down, which I really appreciate because I think it will help to keep the scent locked in for those longer periods where the soap will be sitting on my shelf as I rotate in other soaps to mix things up a bit.

My favorite part about this soap is how nice it makes my skin feel. Soaps remove oil from the skin of course but this actually feels like it conditions my skin. I compared it to the other soaps that I have used and I'm guessing that the secret ingredient must be the shea butter, or maybe it could just be the unique blend of oils that it uses. I'm really enjoying this soap and I think it's worth a shot for those skeptics who question the performance of non-tallow based soaps.

2. whiteboy_cannon

whiteboy_cannon Well-Known Member

Agreed! Dr. Jon's are great soaps. I have Hydra and Anne Bonny, will be getting more to try the new formula that will be released soon. The current formula is great though

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Robyflexx and Demidog like this.
  3. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I have the Dr. Jons Bandit, love the citrus scent and great performance.

4. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I wasn't aware that a new formula was in the works. The soap is already pretty much perfect for me as it is so I'm curious as to how it's going to change.

whiteboy_cannon likes this.
  5. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I've been using the Aphrodite for a couple days and I'm seriously impressed with the shave. Easy lather nice and slick. Good stuff!

6. whiteboy_cannon

whiteboy_cannon Well-Known Member

They said it would be a bit harder to make loading easier. But the ratio of the oils will be pretty much the same

Demidog and Robyflexx like this.
  7. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I heard there's a mentholated version.

whiteboy_cannon likes this.
  8. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Pic?

9. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

10. Rockclimber

Rockclimber Well-Known Member

Version 2.0 is a significant upgrade to the original version. It has castor oil to increase cushion and NaOH to reduce the softness. The previous version was all KOH which was a problem for some users in hot climates. Overall I would rate the original an 8.5/10 and v2.0 a 9/10

Linuxguile, ezcape49 and Demidog like this.
  11. jmsodpc

jmsodpc Well-Known Member

I just ordered a puck of hydra.

Hope it's nice. So far I do like the Savannah sunrise .

Demidog and Linuxguile like this.
  12. jmsodpc

jmsodpc Well-Known Member

got the hydra and it is super nice. a perfect citrus scent thats heavier on the orange vs the lemongrass.

13. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

The new Vol. 2 formula is much easier to load since it more firm than the previous version. Consistency is a bit similar to the newer CB formula. Plus Dr. Jon has come up with some interesting scents, Propoganda,Conquest, and Krampus are the ones that I prefer.