Dreadful Service off Taylor's (TOBS)

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by The Wizard, Dec 3, 2016.

1. The Wizard

The Wizard Active Member

I don't usually give people bad reviews but my recent experience with Taylor's of Bond Street has been disgusting.

We bought 2 brushes last December one for myself and the other for my dad. His fell apart within a matter of weeks and mine lasted 3 months before shedding more hairs than a frightened cat despite us both taking great care of them.

We've had no end of trouble with this company getting them to exchange their faulty brushes. They constantly ignore emails and messages and fob us off with excuses and say they're gonna email or call us back and then don't. It took us weeks of calling and emailling and chasing them up when they constantly failed to reply. Eventually after a month they begrugingly sent me a replacement badger brush but only on condition that we first paid to send the faulty one back at our own expense and provided proof of purchase. We had to jump through so many hoops and was messed around getting ignored and passed off.

The replacement brush eventually arrived and after several months this one is falling apart in clumps every time I shave. I'm now on my 3rd brush in less than a year (a Semogue) and my dad has moved on to synthetic. I left them a poor review on Facebook in the comments section regarding their poor service and badly made brushes that keep falling apart and because of that they removed my comment and then blocked me from being to access their page. I've again tried to contact Taylor's Of Old Bond Street to find out why I've been blocked instead of dealing with my complaint but I can't get a message to them so I've had to get my wife to write to them on my behalf.

She has also been fobbed off with many lies and excuses and promises to resolve matters only to have them brush (pardon the pun) everything under the carpet and ignore us. Our issues are still unresolved and now we've been asked to contact their business manager who already has my details but can't be bothered to get back to me so we've told them that we wont be chasing them about any more over this matter. A further week has gone by and still they haven't lifted my ban and are refusing to contact me regarding my faulty brushes. They've told my wife to send them my contact details again when they already have them and still I haven't had any reply from them.

Dreadful attitudes and possibly the worst customer service we have ever had from any company. We've told them that we wont be chasing them up any more over this issue and we will be writing them a bad review on all possible sites so that customers are aware of how they treat their loyal customers.

I'm done with this company. Wont be buying any more products off them.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  2. Sid James

Sid James Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your bad experience The Wizard. Have you thought about casting a spell on them?

PLANofMAN, Billyfergie and The Wizard like this.
  3. The Wizard

The Wizard Active Member

They sent a message to my wife saying that I haven't been blocked as they don't block people for leaving negative feedback and that it must be a glitch in their system. More lies. Facebook is not their system and has nothing to do with their company servers and my wife can access their page fine and I have no problems viewing other Facebook pages. My comment has also been deleted but they're refusing to own up so somewhere along the line someone is lying and it's not us. I have clearly been stopped from posting because I left them negative feedback. This is how they treat their customers. Lies, excuses and ignoring customer complaints like they don't exist.

4. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

Man that really sucks. I haven't had any problems with them but I've only bought a few soaps. Any good company should go above and beyond to ensure they're customers are satisfied. For instance, I had ordered two soaps from ItalianBarber a few months ago and one of them was totally different than what I had ordered. Called them up and they told me not to worry about returning the other soap that they would send me out the right one. Keep it for the inconvenience they said.

5. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I think Italian barber does a kindness to wet shavers . Great company, great service, products , & prices and they stand behind everything !

brit, twhite, The Wizard and 2 others like this.
  6. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

What about the seller you bought the brushes from originally? Was there no help from Amazon?

7. The Wizard

The Wizard Active Member

The seller disappeared and never responded and Amazon said I only had until February to file a dispute which seems ridiculous as the brush never started to go faulty until around March which was 3 months after purchase. That's why I contacted the manufacturer to see if it was covered under their manufacturer's warranty as I'd already got nowhere with the seller. It took me almost a month to get a resolution from TOBS having to constantly chase them up as they never respond to emails, never bother to call you back when they say they will and keep passing you on from one person to another. It was a right nightmare dealing with them. I've never known a company so incompetent and careless.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  8. The Wizard

The Wizard Active Member

Thanks I'll give them a try. I will miss my TOBS avacado but it's principal you see. Currently on a very nice tub of T&H 1805.

Ya know they even had the darn audacity to say that when they originally exchanged my faulty brush they did so as a gesture of goodwill and were not obliged to do so as I'd purchased it from an Amazon seller.

I've checked consumer law and it says that I should attempt to return the item to the person whom I purchased it from, "however" should a shop or seller cease trading, go into administration or disappear within the standard 12 month guarantee period, then I can go back to the manufacturer and claim for a repair or exchange under the standard manufacturer's guarantee and even, in some cases, make a claim against them over the 1 year period if it can be proven that the item is not of satisfactory quality or not fit for purpose. In short, I have every right to ask the manufacturer for a repair or exchange regardless of who I bought it from providing the fault can be proven to be that of the manufacturer, which of course it is.

This means that yet again TOBS were lying and trying to fob me off with their excuses for not wanting to take responsibility for their faulty and poor quality brushes but as the replacement which came from them is also faulty, I hold them totally responsible.

Short of taking them to small claims court there's not much I can do if they refuse to cooperate which wont be worth all the time, cost and stress. Instead I've opted for letting everyone know what they are like and how they treat customers who have complaints and make sure to never use them again.

If this post has warned just one person off from having to go through what we have had to put up with then it's been worth it.

Carbide Mike and 178-bplatoon like this.
  9. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Och Aye the Noo..Ye Canny Trust an English Company..Gangsters...:happy097:

Billy..:chores016:

10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Thanks for the "Heads Up" on TOBS. I've yet to purchase any of their products and I can see, as of now at least, I won't be purchasing anything from them:angry019: in the future. Can you also tell us the name of the ebay seller, so we can be on the lookout for him/her? :angry019:

11. The Wizard

The Wizard Active Member

It wasn't an EBay seller but an Amazon marketplace seller. I don't wish to name them publicly for fear of any possible legal repercussions as I no longer have a copy of my correspondence to back up my claims but if you are interested then PM me and I'll give you their name.

TOBS asked us to confirm my email address and assured me that their business manager would be in touch to sort this out. That was a week ago now. My wife sent them a private message with my email address and guess what? Still no reply. Surprise surprise!

Anyone interested in reading the entire farce of excuses and lies then go to their Facebook page and check out their 1* review. It really is an absolute joke.

https://m.facebook.com/leanne.mavin.1/activity/1502883013060006

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    Billyfergie likes this.
  12. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Thanks for the information, and it was clearly not something you did. Maybe if you still like a soap, or something they make, a large American vendor ( not many e-commerce ). but a store, especially one that is accredited by the BBB. Better business bureau. Your troubles has made me reluctant about purchasing anything from them unless a BBB store has it. No loss to me. Many American companies where we can spend our money. Thanks again. Carbide Mike

13. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Maybe getting to big for their britches - complacenty. If your experience is not isolated they will soon reap what they sow.

The Wizard likes this.
  14. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Sorry you had this issue. What reply(if any)did you get when you told the you'd be writing the bad reviews about them? I strongly value good, positive, friendly customer service.

15. bleddybear

bleddybear Member

Well sounds like they earned what they worked for : no repeat business from you and your dad! Let it go - plenty of great companies to work with on getting your equipment needs sorted. Peace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keithmax and Paul Turner like this.
  16. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

TOBS is supposed to have the best ranked Sandalwood(according to reviews I've seen). Maybe time to focus on the 2nd best now, eh?

Keithmax and simms623 like this.
  17. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5¢

Remember that TOBS, GFT, T&H, and most other larger suppliers contract out for manufacturing these products. The company itself has nothing to do with manufacturing or quality control. They also don't handle their own resale, especially online. The reseller is the one who needs to deal with TOBS and the consumer needs to deal with the reseller. As callous as it may sound, the fact the reseller "flew the coup" isn't their problem. Caveat emptor, as they say. It's too bad that it works this way. You'll know better next time and buy from a reputable reseller.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  18. matteob

matteob Active Member

UK Consumer law states that the seller must pay for the return (or reimburse postage) for faulty goods. You should remind them of that. I will find the relevant legislation. Have a read of this. It will really surprize them if you are from outside the UK and yet can hit them with UK Comsumer Law lol :p

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/contents/enacted

Vote with your wallet and don't buy from them again. As others have said you are buying from a company that just brands contracted out products. It should not matter whether you bought direct or from a reseller. The company, in this case Taylors, should maintain their integrity by sorting out your issue. Edwin Jagger for example are excellent in this regard. However Taylors are trading on their old established name and know they can trade on that to get enough sales and revenue so do not have to bother about goodwill (in the short term) like a family business like EJ or small artisans and vendors have to.I would write to them again by email and post saying that you are disgusted with their service and that you will be making your displeasure at their shoddy service known to others in the wet shaving community.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    The Wizard and Demidog like this.
  19. The Wizard

The Wizard Active Member

But the replacement wasn't from a reseller but came directly from TOBS therefore they are responsible for the replacement going faulty so by refusing to acknowledge this or issue an exchange they are breaking consumer law.

matteob likes this.
  20. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5¢

Yes the replacement is on them. They sent that directly. It's clear they're hoping you'll just go away.