Drew Dick Custom

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by magicmini, Mar 22, 2017.

1. magicmini

magicmini Member

Slobber[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Over $400 for his razors. For that price, I would need it to lather my face, and give me a nice massage too. Nice looking though.

magicmini, Pilotcld, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  3. magicmini

magicmini Member

Oh didn't you know it makes love to you as well. Each to their own I say, I'd happily pay the same $400 for a run of the mill Double Duck or Wade n Butcher so to have a Custom that cheap is fabulous

Billyfergie, Pilotcld, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  4. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I have a new modern razor, and plan on getting a custom some day, but I really enjoy the old vintage razors:). Actually getting an exceptional shave from something 100-200 years old brings a special satisfaction. Doubly so if you do the work to reintroduce it back to life from a musty old attic.
    Specially dem old misfits;)

178-bplatoon, COMPNOR, Karl G and 4 others like this.
  5. Babweiner

Babweiner Member

I have no modern or new razors but I do enjoy the satisfaction of my vintage blades.

~J. Babcock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karl G, Billyfergie, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  6. magicmini

magicmini Member

Think we all agree with that sentiment

Billyfergie, Spyder and DaltonGang like this.
  7. DaltonGang

Yeppers. What you said.

"Run of the mill"?? Thems fiten werds.
    All logging aside, I do love the looks of the modern razors, but I'm having too much fun restoring, honing, and shaving with the really old ones.
    If I had the excess disposable income, and if I could sneak it past the wife, I would buy some modern beauties.
    Well, I could buy a few modern, for $400-500. But that would give my wife the green light to spend $4000-$5000 on any number of things she thinks need remodeling. So, that $400 razor would cost me at least $4400-$5400, in the long run. And that is for each modern razor I buy.
    I'm flying below the radar with all my fixer uppers.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I've admired his work for some time. Some truly wild designs.
    'Custom' work comes at a price. The additional attention to detail and 'one-of-a-kind' vibe is appealing to many owners.
    When I eventually thin my herd to a reasonable level, I've plans on ordering a custom razor...at some point..

I own a number of 'high end' custom acoustic guitars and I've had people make these same comments "...for that price, I'd expect it to play itself.." or "...it plays guitar music just like my $300 Yamaha!"
    —but for me, there's nothing like playing a custom instrument as I'm sure few things can measure up to custom-made razor shave. There's pride of ownership and you are helping support an artisan's talents.
    I've tried a number of 'custom' razors and a few were exceptional; others fairly pedestrian. This is part of what make custom work appealing. You can have an item specifically crafted to your particular tastes.

178-bplatoon, Karl G, mrchick and 3 others like this.
  9. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Good points, Kevin. And by the way My favorite git is a 40 year old Yamaha:) Never had a custom, but several Martins, Gibsons, etc. I dumped them all and kept 2 Yammies.

magicmini, Karl G, mrchick and 3 others like this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Many of those old yammies are quality git-boxes! :happy088:

magicmini, Karl G, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  11. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have a Drew Dick custom and it is extra hollow, sings loudly when shaving and takes a very sharp edge. The grinding on mine is superb. $400 for a good custom is very reasonable. I'm the odd man out here as I prefer new modern razors both in look and ease of maintenance.

Did you buy it?

13. Keithmax

My Drew Dick, I bought it second hand.
    IMG_0144.JPG IMG_0145.JPG

twhite, Jayaruh, Drygulch and 7 others like this.
  14. DaltonGang

15. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Keith, difficult strokes for different folks. It's what makes this such a great place:). After seeing you fellas Korat's; one is definitely on my radar for next year. We like you even if you don't own any crusty old razors :eatdrink047:

twhite, magicmini, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  16. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

17. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Hey, Brian you have more than a couple I wouldn't mind having either:)

twhite, magicmini, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  18. Keithmax

It's the differences that make life interesting, I do have a couple krusty old razors and enjoy watching others find and restore them.

:eatdrink047:

19. magicmini

magicmini Member

Listen my collection of getting on for 227 is predominantly run of the mill as in, in their day they were run of the mill, if my grandad could afford a W&B as a coal minor in South Wales it was run of the mill full stop. The mere fact the majority found their way over the pond is reason enough for us to bring them home, that and the German ones. I predominantly own W&B, Reynolds, Greaves but also have others. Fortunately for me I do have a disposable income but I'm in the same boat as you, if my better half knew I was spending £500 on a razor, the credit cards would be hammered to the tune of £5.000 I'm totally with you on that one, it's the only and I mean only subject I obviously don't share the cost of, it suits me that they are regarded as old pieces of metal, junk. Keep it coming I can live with that belief.

Keithmax, twhite and DaltonGang like this.
  20. magicmini

magicmini Member

Here Here is all that is needed, words couldn't do justice to your words and views. Thank you kind sir

twhite likes this.