DrTerrors Razor resto's....

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DrTerror, Oct 30, 2015.

1. NapalmCola

NapalmCola Well-Known Member

You Dr. Terror are truly mad. Mad with talent ! Great job .

DrTerror and Billyfergie like this.
  2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Great stuff Sir...;)

Billy...:chores016:

DrTerror likes this.
  3. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

Very impressive

DrTerror and Billyfergie like this.
  4. Epimetheus

Epimetheus Well-Known Member

What process do you use for nickel plating? I like to try things, like electrolytic cleaning, brass etching, and such.

5. DrTerror

DrTerror Well-Known Member

I have been teaching myself how to do this properly for over 2 years,there was no quick and easy answers any where on the net I am afraid!,just,research,research,and more research!,a lot of trial and error,a hand full of razors that are now only fit for the parts bin,and a will to accomplish something,is all that is needed!....

mrchick, Epimetheus and Robyflexx like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  7. Epimetheus

Epimetheus Well-Known Member

Thanks! I will give it a try. Nickel is a good finish and the process can be relatively safe.

Conceivable!

DrTerror likes this.
  8. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Great work Dr. T! :happy088::happy088:

DrTerror likes this.
  9. DrTerror

Just remember,the end product will only come out as good as the part that goes in....Loads of prep,loads of cleaning,and make sure you 'strike' that brass good and proper,or all your hard work will be for nothing,when the nickel wipes off with a microfibre and metal polish....

10. DrTerror

I am doing this,because I love doing this,my goal,has always been,to get an old razor,and improve upon it...Not just a quick splash of plate,and Ebay it off to some unsuspecting punter!.
    I really love what I am doing!,I have never been happier TBH,I have learnt what needs to be learnt,and am now going to put it into practice!.
    I am a totally anal perfectionist!,I will never stop improving my work,no matter whether it be the razor resto's/replate/or leather work.
    I would NEVER send out something that I would not want to receive myself,I don't work that way.
    If you don't believe me,keep watching this thread!....
    I AM a man of my word!.;)

11. DrTerror

The plated parts in the above pictures,had approx 1 minute in the plating tank...Fair enough,the temp was high,the conditions were perfect,and I could of sold them like that,but after hitting them on the bench polisher,the brass soon started to show through.....
    So,IMO,they needed longer in the plating tank!,I could of sold them as they were,because who would put a shiny nickel handle on a buffing wheel?.
    But I KNOW the plating was thin,so would never even dream of sending it out to someone else.;)

NapalmCola, twhite and Robyflexx like this.
  12. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

You rock DrTerror! High standards and quality work is hard to come by these days. :happy088:

DrTerror, NapalmCola and twhite like this.
  13. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Well stated @DrTerror . It reminds me of one of my favorite quotes..."People don't buy What you do, they buy Why you do it"

I'm sold.

14. DrTerror

Thanks guys!,I am humbled!.
    But a picture paints a thousand words!,so keep watching!.
    Then you can actually SEE how serious I am!.
    :)

NapalmCola and Robyflexx like this.
  15. chrisbd

chrisbd Well-Known Member

I think we know how serious you are, that's why we keep watching!

Regards,
    Chris

16. DrTerror

OK,I received a couple of 'old dogs' in this morning.A vintage UK Gillette 'NEW',of the raised flat bottom style,and a Valet Auto Stop...Both cases cleaned up really nice,but the razors need a lot of work,they even both came with cardboard outers (I am a sucker for that old cardboard!),and the Valet came with all the old instructions too....shame about the rest off it!...A quick before of the Valet's strop case....

[​IMG]

And after a 10 minute clean up....

[​IMG]

And one of them both,before I got them into my sweaty hands!...

[​IMG]

My hand gave up at the clean up stage above!,so now onto the heavy weapons....LOL!

Forgot to mention I have some chrome stripper I am eager to try out,just need to get rid of the rust first....

chrisbd and Robyflexx like this.
  17. Robyflexx

Look forward to seeing the end result, you can mend almost anything DrTerror! :happy088:

chrisbd and DrTerror like this.
  18. DrTerror

The above FB,with the numbers filled in with 3 coats of matt black,and a coat of lacquer....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All hand polished,cleaned and polished inside and out,all mechanisms cleaned and oiled with white mineral oil.
    It came out nice in the end....LOL!.

Jim99, chrisbd, twhite and 3 others like this.
  19. DrTerror

Couldn't go to town on the above FB,as the plating was really thin in places,and the guy didn't want it replated,so it was a very gentle,all by hand,polish and clean up job!.
    Came out quite nicely in the end though!.

Jim99, chrisbd, twhite and 2 others like this.
  20. Robyflexx

Outstanding! :happy096:

chrisbd and DrTerror like this.