Dubl Duck Dwarf "The Ugly Duckling"..No More

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by DaltonGang, Jan 30, 2017.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I just received this Dubl Duck in the mail today. Its rusty and ugly, kind of, but the edge seems to be clean. The scales are also good, and the blade lines up evenly. Also, most of the bluing is intact on the tang, and it looks like the spine was blued too. I plan on taking my time with this one.
    Any advise will be welcome.

As I got it.
    P1300605.JPG

P1300603.JPG

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

First and foremost: remove any trace of that rust. You'll have evident pitting as you can only remove so much steel on hollow-ground blades
    You'll need to remove the blade to get the entire tang and hinge area which, looking at the hinge pin, is rusted. Sanding will remove the bluing, or at least create varying shades if you only sand specific areas. Re-bluing is recommended as you've some intrusive rust on both sides of the tang. I opted not to blue the spine due to the unevenness of the spine wear (bluing it would uneven).

The scales are fairly generic so re-scaling is an option.

Having just finished a similar one of these recently, they are fine shavers and worth the effort.

Billyfergie, twhite and mrchick like this.
  3. DaltonGang

Thanks. I did plan on taking it apart. I'm up in the air about getting new scales. I will try to refinish these, and see how they look. I might try to find a donor set of scales. Blade first. I already have cold bluing solution, from some gun restorations I have done. I definitely will take it easy. This is a very thin blade.

Billyfergie likes this.
  4. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I can't help you with restoration suggestions, as I'm a rookie. I will tell you that you have an excellent razor there. Mine is a favorite.

Billyfergie and DaltonGang like this.
  5. DaltonGang

I'm just going to concentrate on not screwing it up. :D

Billyfergie, twhite and mrchick like this.
  6. DaltonGang

I finally had time to pay some attention to "The Ugly Duckling". I sanded carefully, and polished it up. I also straightened the scales, tightened the pins, reshaped and secured the wedge. Then, I cleaned up, and sanded the scales down. The final step was to reblue the tang, and the top of the spine, like it originally had been on this little duckling. I did my best to keep the bluing straight, and in place, with a little blue painters tape. It worked. I wasn't able to get out a couple of spots on the blade, because the pitting was too deep, and this grind, on this razor, was very thin to begin with. I can live with a blemish or two. The next step is to take it to the hones.
    So, I now present the "Not So Ugly Duckling".

Top:
    D.D.Dwarf Top.JPG

Dubl Duck Dwarf.JPG

ninjack, mrchick, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  7. DaltonGang

Oops, I almost forgot the back side.

P2090625.JPG

8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    That cleaned up better than I expected.

Billyfergie and twhite like this.
  9. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Those Very Thin Grinds Like that Loose Metal on the Hone in Jig Time..They Don't Require Much Pressure to Speak Of on the Bevel Hone..They Can Flex Quite Easley..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

DaltonGang likes this.
  10. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Lovely.

DaltonGang likes this.