Dueling Mühles—R41 Comparison: 2011 & 2013

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by HolyRollah, Jan 13, 2014.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I'm glad you found it helpful. Both versions are excellent razors, but I would more likely recommend the newer version as it seems to have broader appeal. It is still an aggressive razor, so be forewarned. I've seen where some shavers have found even the 2013 R41 a bit too 'rough' for daily use.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  2. StraightEdge

StraightEdge Active Member

Thank you for the heads up!
    I am new to the DE world by about 30-40 shaves.. But starting out w/ a Futur, then moving to the EJ89, and Murker 180Long Handle, I'm currently looking for something that has the Long Handle, HD, Non-Adjustable.. Etc.. The 2013 is SOLD! Haha..

Thanks again my friend!

Warm Shaves,
    SE

PatrickA51 likes this.
  3. EFaden

EFaden Member

Interesting. I actually should be getting a loaner 2011 R41 in the mail in a few days.

PatrickA51 and HolyRollah like this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Post your experiences with it here. I was intimidated by the 2011 R41 when I first got it, but with good prep, a light touch, and, just as with a straight razor, careful attention to what I was doing =a great shave!

PatrickA51 likes this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

After consecutive days of using the 2013 R41 and the comparably-aggressive Futur, I used the 2011 R41 for this morning's shave.
    What is noticeable about the 2011 is the feel of the blade edge —something not as evident with the previous two razors. VERY much like a straight razor shave.
    Two passes (WTG/XTG) got me BBS-close with no irritation.

Blauer Max and PatrickA51 like this.
  6. EFaden

EFaden Member

Shaved with a 2011 R41 today I got as a loaner from someone on B&B. Gotta say this thing is REALLY aggressive. Not sure I had the right angle, got 2 cuts, and an ok shave. I think I'll give it another go in a day or two, but not sure its for me.

It seemed rather harsh in comparison to my old faithful (e.g. my slim adjustable).

PatrickA51 likes this.
  7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The 2011 can be harsh, I discovered, especially compared to the older Gillettes. I found less harshness with different blades (Astras, Personna Labs & Feathers) as the R41 is very particular about the blade choice as it reveals any deficiencies in the blade. This is similar to a blade edge having dull spots and subsequent tugging using a straight razor. USING the right angle (very shallow recommended) also is important.
    Give yourself a few shaves with it. I personally wouldn't go ATG until I've found the sweet spot using this razor.

Blauer Max and PatrickA51 like this.
  8. EFaden

EFaden Member

How shallow? I think I was much too steep. I was almost the same angle as my slim...

PatrickA51 likes this.
  9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Personal preference and comfort.
    Some folks get the right angle by holding the razor almost vertical when shaving. I tend to use it near 90° (image at left) —but it varies as I travel around the face/neck & chin.
    [​IMG]

PatrickA51 and CyanideMetal like this.
  10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Great write up. Thanks!

PatrickA51 likes this.
  11. EFaden

EFaden Member

Awesome. Thanks for the pictures. That makes it a lot clearer. I'm going to give it another go after I heal up a bit.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

You're welcome! DO be sure to give your irritated flesh ample time to heal properly. Aggressive razors will continue to wreak havoc if your skin is even slightly tender or inflamed.
    :shaver

PatrickA51 likes this.
  13. EFaden

EFaden Member

Yep. Planning to just do a single or double pass touchup with my slim adjustable as a cleanup for tomorrow.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  14. EFaden

EFaden Member

Shave #2 with the 2011... I think I am getting closer. It is just an odd angle. It feels like it is just all wrong when coming from a Gillette. I did a two pass today. Face feels pretty good. Still a little irritation, and a tiny weeper... but WAY better than the first one. It still felt a bit "harsh" and with the angle from the image above I almost felt like I was going to "drag" the blade across my face. I am going to keep trying the thing, but I am actually quite impressed from today. I am now curious though how the 2013 compares...

PatrickA51 likes this.
  15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

More forgiving, less harsh,—still an aggressive razor by DE standards, but most users find the 2013 more to their liking. Both will get you über-close...

PatrickA51 likes this.
  16. EFaden

EFaden Member

Going to try again in a few days with this one. But I may have to get a 2013 to try in the future.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  17. EFaden

EFaden Member

Third shave down... I have my face down... and damn is it smooth. The neck is still a little iffy. No cuts, but some irritation. Gotta say this thing is starting to grow on me. After I return this one I may have to get a 2013 one to try and see if it is less harsh.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  18. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Great review Kevin...very comprehensive, well written, and very professionally put together....I now have absolutely no questions about how they differ...The only thing left is to test drive, although after reading this I kind of feel like I did test drive them...lol...And reading this was alot of fun too, much like a razor test-drive itself...;D....Thanks, 2 Thumbs Up!!

And great Denizen feedback too....And Hanzo....your points are very thought provoking...

PatrickA51, HolyRollah and Hanzo like this.
  19. EFaden

EFaden Member

Alright... my update. Did my 5th shave with the 2011 R41. I get a good shave on my face, but just can't get it right on my neck. The guy who loaned it to me is going to loan me the 2013 version. I'll give that a whirl and report back.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  20. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Kevin
    Great review and information and the pictures.