Dueling Mühles—R41 Comparison: 2011 & 2013

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by HolyRollah, Jan 13, 2014.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Thanks, Patrick! Here it is nearly some 8 months after this review and I still enjoy using both Mühles in the DE rotation. Since I use DE razors more infrequently due to the introduction of the straights into my morning routines, I do look forward to the R41s.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  2. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

Good review, some day I'll have to check it out. Nice looking razor

3. Martin-j

Martin-j Well-Known Member

I was able to come into possession of a 2011 model Muhle R41 this week and thought I’d post my thoughts on the razor. I should really try to post some images of this thing… Anyway, rather than starting a new thread, I thought I’d just resurrect this one.

Full disclosure: I have a 2013 R41, a Merkur 37C slant, a Fatip Piccolo, and EJ 89. I had a Red Tip Gillette that just wasn’t a good match for me. For the past year or so, the 2013 R41 has been my go to razor, the others relegated to a once in a while use (except the slant, which is my travel razor). I am a fan of the more "aggressive" razors. Okay, here goes day one.

First Impressions: The razor is, like it’s cousin, quite a sight to behold. The fit and finish are what I have come to expect from Muhle (and Edwin Jagger). The weight feels a little lighter than the 2013 model, although I cannot say for certain because I don’t have a scale. I loaded this up with my standard blade (Personna blue) and faced lathered Tabac. I have to say I was a little surprised at just how much blade reveal there is on this. I have a Fatip, which has a considerable amount of exposed blade, but this is simply in a league of its own. To repeat what has already been said, the entire head is a touch smaller than the 2013, which I'm not sure I like as it allows the side of the blade more exposure. Now comes the moment of truth.

First pass: With the grain and I can easily notice the extra blade exposure against the skin. It’s also louder than I am used to with the 2013 model. But I like the feedback. I found the sweet spot straightaway with this razor, maybe because I have been using the 2013 model for over a year and have become almost automatic with it. The WTG pass ended with no irritation, nicks, or cuts. Like the shaves I get with the 2013 model, I probably could have left it at one pass, but I like the BBS shaves I get when I turn the razor around and go ATG.

Second pass: Against the grain. My approach was the same as with the 2013 model. Light, SUPER light touch, and slow deliberate strokes. The audio feedback was even more impressive. The second pass ended without any bloodshed and I rinsed up with a hot cloth followed by a splash with very cold water, then alum, and another cold water splash (my regular routine). The alum application revealed a couple warm spots that I often get with any of razors. I finished up with some Captains Choice Lime and began the day.

At 5:00 I could detect stubble coming in (the shave was at 6:30). which is just about right for me. My beard is reasonably heavy and grows fast.

After one use, I am pleased with the razor but cannot say it is any better or worse than its 2013 cousin. It’s too soon to draw any meaningful conclusions. I’ll give it a week or so of daily shaves and decide which I like best. The loser will be put up for sale.

Happy shaving!

4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Great review and thanks for posting!
    I've been contemplating a 2011 for some time now myself.

PatrickA51 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  5. Martin-j

You're very kind to say so. Good luck trying to find one! They don't seem to come up very often.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  6. Martin-j

Day two of the 2011 Muhle R41 probationary period:

The second day with this marvelous razor came and went without disappointment. The second shave was really a carbon copy of the first, with no nicks, cuts, and less irritation (which was minimal to begin with). Just the perfect, two pass, BBS shave to begin the day. I used Stirling Coniferous shave soap this morning, once again followed by a hot water rinse and a splash with very cold water before applying alum, and another splash of very cold water. Captain’s Choice North was the aftershave of choice completed the shave this morning.

I’m really pleased with this and maybe a little wary of the significant amount of exposed blade. I don’t believe it’s possible to grow complacent with this razor, and the results for the unfortunate soul who does would be messy and maybe worthy a trip to the ER.

I often hear read opinions of different razors (i.e., the Merkur 37C) that strongly suggest that they are not for beginners, or even those whose who might be a few months into their DE shaving experience. While I may not agree with such sentiment, I don’t think it can be over emphasized that this razor, along with its 2013 cousin, is definitely NOT for a beginner. But for those who have a steady hand, some experience with traditional wet shaving, good soap/cream, and are looking for a highly aggressive razor, then this might be a good match. Of course, as with anything what might work best for one may not be the best for another (YMMV).

7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

An experienced hand and light touch is indeed recommended using the 2011 model. Get the right 'touch' and you're rewarded with a great close shave.

Keithmax and PatrickA51 like this.
  8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I own both the 2011 and 2013 versions so I will add my 2 cents. I prefer aggressive razors and struggle to get a good shave if the razor is mild. As previously stated the 2011 is more aggressive, when I have the time for perfect prep and need that long lasting BBS it is my go to even ahead of my ATT H1 and Futur.

The 2013 is another story I just can't seem to get the angle right to get a BBS shave. My hair is tough, grows fast and in crazy directions.

I think the reason I need an agressive razor is I need to adjust the blade angle to get at my more stuborn stubble or odd growth patterns. The 2011 will cut at almost any angle, why it's so dangerous but the 2013 has much more narrow angle where it will cut. My theory is mild razors have a small window in which they will cut hence my inability to get close shave with them.

So I'm going to give straights another shot.

Or it could all be in my head. So tomorrow with huge brass handle I'll use my 2011.

PatrickA51, Martin-j and clint64 like this.
  9. Martin-j

Day three and day four were really carbon copies of day one and two. I’ve kept the variable of blade choice constant (Personna Blue) because for the past year that has been the most reliable and comfortable blade for me. I’ve also have not varied my routine. I soak my brush in hot water for a few minutes, and I let the water rest on top of the soap for the same amount of time. I also face lather. So really, the only variable that I’ve been changing is in the soap/cream. So far, it hasn’t mattered what I use, I still get great shave out of this razor.

I think however, for purely sentimental reasons, I’ll probably part with the 2011 model and keep the 2013.

Keithmax, PatrickA51 and maltedmilk like this.
  10. Martin-j

IMO, both the 2011 and 2013 models are exceptional DE razors. I've long considered taking the leap to straight razors but can't quite get over the intimidation factor to pull the trigger. And considering how well the Muhle's work for me, it's hard to justify.

11. Martin-j

I can see your point that the 2011 would get those stubborn hairs more efficiently than anything else, including the 2013. I agree with you with regard to struggling to get a good shave with a mild razor. My first razor was in EJ 89, and I like it a lot but I just wasn't getting a close long-lasting shave out of it. So I progressed to the slant, which was better, before finally pulling the trigger on the 2013 model. I've been blessed with a beard that sports very predictable growth direction, so the 2013 and the 2011 work equally well for me.

12. Blauer Max

Blauer Max Well-Known Member

Excellent review! I like both razors. I've a 2011 R101, a 2011 R41 and a 2013 R41. For daily use, I choose the 2013 model, but with two days beard or more, I switch to 2011 version.

PatrickA51 and HolyRollah like this.
  13. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I was sitting here this morning (of course on a day I can sleep it I'm up at 00dark30).
    So I took the opportunity to browser through the past articles in the Shave Den. I came across this review written by @HolyRollah. Not only was it a well written review, but it was well worth the read again.
    Thank You Kevin even if it's 18 months since it first graced the pages of TSD but I feel that you learn something new each time I read it.

RyX and ObiDon like this.
  14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Thanks, Patrick.
    The Muhle R41s are fine razors that many, maybe not all, DE shavers should try, at least for a treat drive.

Martin-j and PatrickA51 like this.
  15. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

a "treat drive", you may have coined a new term.
    congratulations are in order.

16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

'auto-correct' strikes again!
    :angry019:
    …although 'treat drive' does sound pleasant enough! :D

17. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Excellent post, still relevant, thank you. I have a 2013 R41 and an ATG isn't a pass that I make often at all. Too risky.

HolyRollah likes this.
  18. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Wow, have things changed since I posted above! I no longer have a 2013 R41, but have since acquired a 2011. Took me about a month to "master" it. But I have to say that it is one of my very favorite razors. It'll definitely bite you if you let your guard down. :D

Keithmax and HolyRollah like this.
  19. SFTrooper

SFTrooper Active Member

Awesome review Kevin. Never tried the 2011 version but love the 2013 version. It has been my daily razor for a couple of years. I can generally get a DFS - BBS in two passes using a shallow blade angle (riding the cap, handle up). Again, great review and pics.

HolyRollah likes this.