Easy “Out?”

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Steve C, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Steve C

Steve C Active Member

After deciding many months ago, to change over to being a “no beard” person (I’ll go back to a beard in a couple of years), and exploring shaving creams vs shaving soaps, I have at least decided that I don’t want to use the shaving soap that is stuck to the bottom of the soup mug I stole from my own kitchen.

Looking at it yesterday, I figure there is about a third of a cake left, and wonder about the easiest way to extract the remaining soap cake from the mug? A spoon handle wedge-out?

Your thought?

2. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Some soaps are easier to extract than others and the shape of the mug can make it more or less difficult. Also how sturdy or fragile the mug is can make a difference in how much torque you can safely apply.

You can make slices with a sharp knife across (and through) the soap similar to cutting a pie. Then try running the knife around the edge. Sometimes the puck will "pop" once you start making cuts and working the edge. Other times you have to use something like a spoon and take it out in pieces.

3. Steve C

Steve C Active Member

It would probably take forever with hot water to try to melt it out, huh?!

It isn’t that the mug is really valuable; I suppose I could throw the whole thing in the trash; but why waste a mug, right?!

RyX likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Fill with water, allow to soak overnight. Should be able to scoop most of it right out, the wash out the rest.

RyX and TobyC like this.
  5. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

That's the way to do it! It'll be soft and very easy to remove, might be able to just use your fingers and running water. :happy088:

6. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

If it's a non-tallow soap (vegetable/glycerin based), you can melt it in the microwave--short blasts work best. Then you can pour it into your new container.

7. Steve C

Steve C Active Member

I ended up taking a butter knife and just skimming it around the edges, and then I gave it a little tug underneath the bar of soap, and it came right out; no issue.

Much easier than I thought it would be!

Knox likes this.