Easy Barbecue Sauce

Discussion in 'The Cookbook' started by Sara-s, May 3, 2015.

1. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I just made this today. I started with a recipe from the net & modified it a bit. There was only one ingredient that I didn't already have in the house. That was the Liquid Smoke, which I strongly reommend. Anyway, here goes;
    Ingredients
    1/2 cup ketchup
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    1 tablespoon cider vinegar
    1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
    2 tablespoons bourbon or Jack Daniels (optional)
    1 teaspoon garlic powder or flakes
    1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
    Dash of hot sauce

Mix ingredients in a saucepan and heat over a low flame, just long enough to simmer. Allow to cool & store in the fridge.

2. bigjustin

bigjustin Member

Jack Daniels should never be optional. Sounds delicious. ..

RaZorBurn123 and Sara-s like this.
  3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

It smells great. Right now, I am slow-roasting a rack of ribs. About 1/2 hour before they are done, I will glaze them with the sauce.

Update- We've had dinner. It came out quite tasty. It was a nice blend of sweetness, smoke & savory taste.

Last edited: May 3, 2015
    Bama Samurai and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  4. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

I've made something similar without the bourbon and it was really good. I think I'll have to give this a try soon....as if I needed an excuse to grill a rack of ribs.

Sara-s likes this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Nice Sara! Thanks for sharing.

Sara-s likes this.
  6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I had some on a hamburger (ground bison, actually) last night. That was also very appetizing.
    Another thought on this- people like varying amounts of spice/ heat in BBQ sauce. For me, a dash of hot sauce was 3 slaps on the bottom of the bottle of Louisiana Hot Sauce. If you like it hotter, use a little more, or a hotter brand, such as Tabasco.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    This recipe also makes a spicy barbeque sauce:
    [​IMG]
    It's McCormick & Schmidt's recipe.

8. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

When I want to offer a western or tomato based sauce I usually start from here:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/basic-barbecue-sauce-242245

I've used bacon grease for the drippings, which works in a pinch. I usually don't add the pineapple juice, as I'm not much on sweetness. I was initially hesitant about the green pepper, but it works well with the balance of flavors. I usually only add half the water called for, otherwise I find it too thin a sauce. Even then I let it reduce some while doing other tasks.

Robyflexx likes this.