eBay acquisition 1966 slim

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Fangface, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Fangface

Fangface Active Member

This just in! Received my razor today, a 1966 Slim. This is my first "real razor", my other being the Van Der Hagen which got me into this mess. Now to clean and use those 1966 blades I found and posted about in another thread! Off to search the forums lol. Out of curiosity, what methods do you guys use? Scrubbing bubbles? Bleach bath? Dip?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412209814.574338.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412209828.772239.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412210227.907019.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412210244.677882.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412210253.592591.jpg

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Congratulations. An excellent choice.
    :happy093:

3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Congratulations. I am waiting on my 1964 Slim (my birth year) to arrive.

4. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I would let it soak in some warm-moderately hot soapy water. Get a toothbrush and scrub away and after use some metal polish. A warning though on the polish, do not polish to vigorously as this may damage the plating.

5. Fangface

Fangface Active Member

Thanks BigMark. clint64, I was originally trying for my birth year too (1972), but kept getting beat lol!

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Scrubbing Bubbles™ is highly thought of for cleaning DE razors. Don't over do it, however. A good thorough but brief soak, rinse & light scrub will remove most of the nasties.

Spud, Radiotube and Herm2502 like this.
  7. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I agree with a moderate Scrubbing Bubbles scrub. I use an old tooth brush. Don't forget that a slim has that last 1/4 lock down turn when you close and tighten the doors. If it doesn't work it's probably gunk in the razor. Soak it in soapy water and see if it loosens up. If not, repeat the process. I had an adjustable that took 3 days of heating and reheating the soapy water until it finally loosened up. In another case I took it to a jeweler who put it in his ultrasonic cleaner. Have fun!

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I stick them in the jar of barbecide for about 15 minutes. Works better than anything I have found

9. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Congrats! My Slim is a '66 also, the year I got my Driver's License.

My Method for Cleaning & Restoring Vintage Double Edge Razors:

Soak in hot, not boiling water with Dawn dish detergent until water cools. Scrub with tooth brush and rinse.
    Spray with non-bleach Scrubbing Bubbles. Let sit until bubbles start to disappear. Scrub with toothbrush and rinse.
    Repeat if needed.
    Apply Flitz or MAAS if additional polishing is needed. Buff with micro-fiber cloth.
    Repeat Scrubbing Bubbles, rinse, dry with towel.
    Load blade and enjoy.

Works for me.........

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Adonis, Recklesstr, Slow Joe and 3 others like this.
  10. Fangface

Fangface Active Member

Used scrubbing bubbles, which cleaned off quite a bit. Also some ammonia. Still seems a little dull, need to get some polish...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412258596.911969.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412258664.533247.jpg

11. Dtram

Dtram Member

Bobcats method is the best. One thing I would add from my experience, after the first hot water soak, work the mechanisms (anything that moves like doors, adjustment knobs, unscrew the handle, etc,) to loosen the grit and gunk, then repeat as needed. BTW Bobcat, please move me to the top of the list for that Red Tip beauty when you decide to flip it! Absolutely gorgeous!

Bobcat and Boojum1 like this.
  12. Tibby49

Tibby49 New Member

I ruined the nickel finish on a minty looking 49 Super speed with a warm Bleach soak. Bleach will make you sad.

13. goodmoodmike

goodmoodmike Member

14. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Nice razor, I hope you enjoy it :)

15. Fangface

Fangface Active Member

After the ammonia and rinse I did as you guys suggested - hot water (not boiling) with Dawn and rinse, another round of non-bleach Scrubbing Bubbles and a nylon toothbrush and rinse. Happened to be in Wallyworld and picked up some Weiman Metal Brand Polish to use - said it was safe for nickel, brass, chrome, etc. Also got a bottle of Testers Gloss Black and used it on the numbers. I had baby oil at the house as well, so I used that for a shot down the pipe to lube up the internals. Coming along pretty good, I'll get some pictures up soon!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    ObiDon likes this.
  16. Fangface

Fangface Active Member

Thanks guys for all the replies, this is a very helpful community!

17. Fangface

Fangface Active Member

18. Fangface

Fangface Active Member

Forgot to mention, those are some slick looking razors up there Bobcat!

Bobcat likes this.
  19. Fangface

Fangface Active Member

Ok fresh pics!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412379448.815097.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412379462.364440.jpg

ObiDon, Adonis and Recklesstr like this.
  20. Fangface

Fangface Active Member