eBay acquisition 1966 slim

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Fangface, Oct 1, 2014.

1. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Nice razor, my slim is a 67. Love those adjustable razors.

2. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

I am always impressed by how shiny your razors are, I can't tell if you just buy mint condition razors or just have a great cleaning regime. Either way your shave of the day photos are always something I look forward to seeing.

3. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

Nice! My Slim is also a '66 :)

4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I first soak the razor in a mix of Dawn and very hot but not boiling water from the tap for a few hours depending on how grungy the razor is. Then give it a gentle scrub with a soft toothbrush using the Dawn water. Followed by a spray of scrubbing bubbles. Rinse the razor off and then give it another gentle scrub with the toothbrush using Bar Keepers Friend. Another thorough rinse then polish lightly with a soft cloth and Mothers Mag Polish. On TTO's/ Adjustables I'll also soak it in Dawn and hot water for a couple of cycles in a sonic jewelry cleaner this isn't necessary, but I happen to have a jewelry cleaner. Hope this helps..:)

5. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

Very nice, have fun with it.

6. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Congrats on your find. Nice clean up. I have a J1 which I think makes it a '64?? I never reach for it because I simply prefer my other vintage adjustables.
    [​IMG]

7. Fangface

Fangface Active Member

Yes, that would make it a '64. Nice looking razor! I like it! I still leave it on three until I get the technique a little better. Too many years of pivoting heads...

8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Wow, @Fangface, that razor cleaned up nicely. You did very well in my opinion. Now, it will be easy to keep clean and functional.

9. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

I am gonna tell you that the slims will give some of the best shaves you ever had once you find the right blade for it very nice find dude! 3is a great starting point just remember their is no need to open it up all the way right off the bat...Take your time and enjoy.
    Take care.

10. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

That one cleaned up great, Fangface! Enjoy it! '66 is a good year! It's my vbirth year... ;)

11. ZinZan

ZinZan Member

I have M2 and L3, sending one for replating and the other my daily razor.

Jayaruh likes this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Mine is an H1 (62). I just have one, and that is enough. It is a great shaver.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  13. 2grubswrestle1

2grubswrestle1 Active Member

Very nice Razor....I have a 66 slim as well.

14. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Those are all beauties! I've got a '65 slim (K2) that I picked up at an estate sale for $1. Perfect condition once it was cleaned up.

15. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Very nice clean up job. I have an L-1 and an L-2. Slims give great shaves.

16. Fangface

Fangface Active Member

Thanks guys! It's a daily driver for sure. Sadly, the only blades I can find locally are the Van Der Hagen blades at Target or Walmart, and they want $2.88 for 5. So I have been using the Gillette Super Stainless blades in the picture. They shave good, I get about 3 or 4 shaves out of them apiece, but I can tell the difference between each one set in "3"!! Where is a good place to order sampler blades for a good price? Or if any of you live near Reno/Sparks, do you know of a place that I don't? I actually wish I had my birth year, macaronus, but I figured I'll pursue that later!

GDCarrington likes this.
  17. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Here is a very good sampler 3 blades each ... and it helps fund this forum.

http://www.theshavedenshop.com/index.php?_a=product&product_id=213

dscaver likes this.
  18. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

what razor is in the top photograph? I like that style.

19. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Fat Handle Tech.

20. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I love the look of that razor