eBay find

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Spyder, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

IMG_0868.JPG
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/352053975035?_mwBanner=1

BIN $34. Pretty good deal here. The barber hone is worth the price IMHO. I have a case like this, this one looks to be in pretty good shape. I'm so close to pulling the trigger. Thought I would like one of you have the opportunity.

2. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Sold! Did you buy it?

Billyfergie, Kizurra and Karl G like this.
  3. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Not me. I was hoping someone here would take advantage of it.

Billyfergie and Kizurra like this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That was a sweet deal. I would have jumped on it.

5. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Hindsight being 20/20, I shoulda bought it and offered it here.

6. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

This is mine, I paid $20 and had to replace the leather. The hone on this is just awesome.

IMG_0668.JPG

Billyfergie, mrchick, Kizurra and 2 others like this.
  7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

8. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I could make the strop set, but getting a hone to insert into it.. that's tough. It's too bad nobody's figured out how to make them in the last 30 years. Any ceramic engineers in the house? :) (I'd love to have something like that)

Kizurra, Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  9. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

The lady that made the frictionite hones unfortunately took the recipe to the grave with her:(

10. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

My father (engineer) pointed out that reverse engineering it should be possible. It's just that there hasn't been anyone interested in doing so, that has the background. He also said that a lot of the information on how to do it might not have capable of being passed down in writing, but rather in a hands on 'this is how you do it'. He pointed out a valve assembly that required three stacked plates with an insane level of 'flatness' required. The company he was working for didn't want to move the hugely heavy machines when they moved plants, or do the work themselves, but 8 years later, they STILL hadn't managed to find anyone who could/would do it as an outsource, and could produce the same level of quality that they did in-house with the ancient machines they had - for any price.

Karl G, Keithmax and Kizurra like this.
  11. DaltonGang

Thanks Keith @Spyder . It looks even better in person. Also, the Shumate Barbers razor is in pretty good shape.
    P6070992.JPG
    P6070991.JPG

Drygulch, Karl G, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  12. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

You slippery dog!! I'm really glad you got this!! And here I was all stressed out because it was sold before someone here got a crack at it. How does the inide look?

Karl G, Keithmax and DaltonGang like this.
  13. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I shoulda known :happy097:

Karl G and DaltonGang like this.
  14. DaltonGang

It looks almost New. The leather is still moist, tight, crack, and Nick free. I might clean it, and oil it. The stone looks unused, and the wood looks free of any wear. The Shumate has a tiny bit of corrosion, but nothing I can't handle, in a few minutes.

I thought for sure the Smiley Face was a big enough hint.
    Once again, thanks Keith. It's a beauty of a set. I will be using it, while on vacation, this summer.

Karl G and Keithmax like this.
  15. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Agreed it's really cool, and rare as hens teeth. I also had to replace the cloth inside of mine. You got an exceptional deal and I'm really happy for you.

Karl G, Keithmax and DaltonGang like this.
  16. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

DaltonGang likes this.
  17. DaltonGang

Thanks.
    I cleaned the leather with Lexol, let it dry well, then added a little Neatsfoot Oil to it. It's a nice smooth reddish leather.
    I then lapped the stone flat, with a very fine diamond plate.
    Question: What do people use on this stone, for lubrication, while touching up a blade??

Karl G likes this.
  18. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Wet it and use a little lather. Below Glenn demonstrates.

Karl G likes this.
  19. DaltonGang

:happy088::happy088:

Karl G and Spyder like this.