Editing my soap collection

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PLAla, May 27, 2017.

1. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Of any type of AD, I am most prone to SAD. I like razors but now have a dozen injectors and SEs that suit me just great. Brushes are cool and I have nine that suit all my purposes and don't need more at the moment. But soaps are easily attainable and last forever.

I am thinking of editing down and going with brands that are quality and that I enjoy, namely Stirling, Soap Commander, and Fine. I will always have Mitchell's Wool Fat around and a couple of others that I enjoy, such as Strop Shoppe Baker Street, etc.

Anyone ever whittled down to just their favorite brands? There are SO many producers now that it's hard to keep up. This would help me simplify some.

2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I have not only whittled my soaps down to my favorite brands, but also whittled my favorite brands down as well. A double-whittle, if you whill (sic).

3. RyX

RyX DoH!

I participated in The Soap Pass Around. Took one new-to-me tub of soap (Mystic Water) and passed to the next participants four or six tubs. Think I added several pounds to the already over stuffed box. Feels good man!

4. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

If you want, you can send anything you're on the fence about to me, and I'll tell you what to keep and what to get rid of... :D

5. PLAla

Yes, some of the ones I have will go in the next box. Really, this is why I began the box in the first place. I had some soaps that weren't interesting to me but may have been to someone else.

6. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

It was that BOX that caused me to grab 45 different scents of soaps from several vendors.

Damn the box!!!!

But each morning it is sooooo goooood!!

7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Perry,
    PIFing is very generous. Selling a few things would allow you to build up those products that you see using long-term, while reducing the overall numbers. :)

Spyder, PickledNorthern and Jorvaljr like this.
  8. PLAla

Yep! I haven't had a lot of luck with selling, but I might try to sell a few tubs.

9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Yes! I have and have the same exact feelings.
    Stirling
    Route 66
    Soap Commander
    RazoRock
    Russian creams
    B&M
    I recently got rid of two boxes full of soaps, my son took what he wanted and gave the rest to a men's shelter. His idea with the shelter. :happy088:

Spyder, RyX, PickledNorthern and 3 others like this.
  10. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

have you decided which brands you have enjoyed or enjoy the most? That way you can just keep to those.

Spyder, PickledNorthern and PLAla like this.
  11. PLAla

Stirling, Soap Commander, and Fine soaps are what I have that I like the best, along with Mitchell's Wool Fat and a some other random selections.

Spyder, PickledNorthern and Jorvaljr like this.
  12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

that is wise......it'll probably take some time for me to decide which ones I like the most and can thus stick with them. There are a few others I'd like to try before I make Te Decision Of The Century.

13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I literally only have about 4 soaps. I pass them on if they're not getting loving.

PLAla likes this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

i think i have around 15-20 soaps but some i wont replace.definitely liking the stirling,proraso ,sc bignoli italian soaps .

PickledNorthern and PLAla like this.
  15. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I'm going to need a councilor :(.

My favorites are
    Stirling
    Barrister & Mann
    Razorock
    Saponificio Varesino
    Rt66
    Martin de Candre( one try and I need to see when I can afford it)

RyX, crackstar and PLAla like this.
  16. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Focusing on your favorites makes sense to me. Any of the lesser soaps can either be sold, traded or PIF'd.

At some point you know what you like and want. Similar to razors, I've been settling in on soaps now and will likely not be doing much experimenting in the future as I've already found some soaps that work great for me.

RyX, PLAla and dustmite like this.
  17. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Do you like barrister and mann, Catie's bubbles, Mickey Lee Soap works, saponificio varesino, or Martin de candre?

RyX and PLAla like this.
  18. PLAla

Haven't tried any of those.

19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Perry I am in the process of doing just what you have outlined. For me it makes perfect sense. I spent the first couple of years trying many different brands and will limit future purchases to my favorite brands.

PickledNorthern, dustmite and PLAla like this.
  20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Often overlooked, but one of our TSD sponsors, Crowne & Crane, makes some exceptional shaving soaps (bath soaps and aftershave balms as well). They're part of my regular soap rotation along with many of the names mentioned above.
    Click here

Jim99, RyX, PickledNorthern and 4 others like this.