Edwin Jagger DE89lbl Problem

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dirt43, May 9, 2016.

1. Dirt43

Dirt43 New Member

I bought my first safety razor back in 2014 and it was the Jagger DE 89lbl from Amazon. I went to shave the other day and noticed that my razor would not cut any of the hair on my face. I changed out the blade and still nothing. Does anybody have any idea what could have happened?

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Base plate upside down?

3. Dirt43

Dirt43 New Member

Never even thought of that. I will have to check when I get home tonight.

4. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

OK, please let us know.

Robyflexx likes this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    My first thought.

6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:happy088:

Robyflexx likes this.
  7. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

and it only took 20 minutes for a response.

That's one of the reasons I like TTO's though, less fiddling with the razor.

8. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5¢

You are not the first person who has done that. I don't think you're even the twenty first person. I hope that's all it was.

9. Dirt43

Dirt43 New Member

As embarrassing as it is that is exactly what the problem was.

Now as far as cleaning the razor what do you guys normally recommend for that? It is almost like a calcium deposit.

RaZorBurn123 and mrchick like this.
  10. swarden43

Scrubbing Bubbles (SB) - put the razor is a small bowl or plastic tub, spray on the SB, let sit until bubbles disappear, spray again, let bubbles disappear, scrub with soft toothbrush (toothpick if you gotta get into any tight areas), rinse, apply light coat of light weight machine oil or mineral oil, done. May not be necessary for a 3-piece; totally up to you.

Do not let the SB sit for longer than it takes for the bubbles to disappear. It has been known to take the number paint off of adjustable razors and the color of the Lady Gillettes if left on too long. I've never had any problems.

Scrubbing Bubbles:
    1 - Eats soap scum
    B - Disinfects
    Third - Leaves the razor nice and shiny

Erik Redd and opsimath like this.
  11. Dirt43

Dirt43 New Member

Thank you.

Robyflexx likes this.
  12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I hope you get good shaves with it. Now that you have figured out the problem, please tell us how you like the razor.

13. MarshalArtist

Scrubbing Bubbles is good for older razors that need cleaning, but I suspect you just have soap reside since this is a new razor. You can just wipe that off with a damp cloth or a toothbrush.

Erik Redd likes this.
  14. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

My razors cloud up pretty quickly, it's generally hard deposits from the water. It takes Scrubbing Bubbles to clean, a damp cloth just won't cut it. If I cleaned it after every couple of shaves a damp cloth might work, but I'm too lazy for that.

upload_2016-5-12_5-46-19.png

swarden43 likes this.
  15. Dirt43

Dirt43 New Member

As I mentioned in my original post, this is the only razor of the kind that I have ever owned. I used the scrubbing bubbles as suggested and the razor looks brand new. I love the way this razor shaves and I feel like I can get a closer shave in one pass than numerous shaves with a cartridge razor. The blades are dirt cheap and will last me about as many shaves as a cartridge razor. I do not however flip the blades over as recommended. Once one side is dull I toss it and get a new one. The only problem I found with this razor is if somebody talks to me while I am shaving and I pause I will cut myself unless I lift the razor from my face. All in all I paid $35 for the razor, $10 for a cheaper soap, bowl, and brush combo at Walgreens, and $10 for 100 blades.

gmaugie007 likes this.
  16. Dirt43

Dirt43 New Member

My next purchase I would like to buy a nice badge brush (Walgreens kit only use boar brushes), and a stand that fits my razor and a nice brush.

17. swarden43

Very cool! Blade flipping is NOT necessary. And you're right - once the blade starts to tug and pull, toss it.

(I do flip my blade just because I hand strop the blade before every shave. And some will tell you hand stropping isn't necessary, either. I figure can't hurt, might help.)

18. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Don't be embarrassed! It happens. I use rubbing alcohol as a razor bath, I keep it in a little Tupperware container and let my razor sit in it while I clean it, daily maintenance type of thing.
    Kerry

Robyflexx likes this.
  19. MarshalArtist

I will not encourage your lackadaisical attitude toward razor maintenance. A stitch in time saves nine, and all that.

Erik Redd likes this.