Edwin Jagger Head Quality Issue.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Tim Spencer, Jan 16, 2017.

1. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I am confused: you are looking to buy the head just to use the cap portion on your baseplate? If that is what you meant, and I apologize if it isnt, but the Rocca head is a satin finish, which is going to add an interesting aesthetic to your kit.

2. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

I didn't think of that. The Kelvin has shiny chrome finish. You're right. That would look different. I was hoping the stainless steel would be shiny or have a chrome plating. I suppose I 'could' send the Rocca head to someone to get it chrome plated. Hmm...

3. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

The same thing happened to me. I wrote and complained to Edwin Jagger and they were kind enough to send me a brand new razor.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  4. Tim Spencer

5. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Yeah. By interesting I was thinking completely not what I see you as shooting for when you build these kits.

Have you thought about just replacing the Kelvin and keeping it as a showpiece/collectible? Not every collectible has to be valuable, per se.. I have a shotgun on my wall with a pretty Damascus barrel. Common, not worth anything but sentimental value, actually a pretty piece, but realistically worthless as a tool.... (maybe not a perfect analogy...)

Wouldn't your kit look just as good with either a minty vintage, or a high end stainless?

6. Tim Spencer

I suppose a number of optional razors could work, but I like to be creative and stubborn. The option to buy a bunch of heads for future replacement is just as viable and I think that would be the more cost effective option.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  7. Tim Spencer

[​IMG]

Edwin Jagger is going to replace the head it looks like. Just waiting now for them to send the email that they have shipped it. Already sent them this picture and my information.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  8. matteob

matteob Active Member

Edwin Jagger is known for standing by their products. I have only heard good things. Neil Jagger admits the heads can be weak if dropped or the handle overtightened. As far as I am concerned they are a great family company and a credit to the UK with first class customer service. He likes dealing with other family businesses too.A zinc alloy head should last a lifetime you just have to be delicate and exercise care. They use Zinc Alloy as it is easy to cast in moulds.There is a stainless steek Edwin Jagger in the pipeline though which will be good news. Ultimately though I paid £18 for my DE89 about the price of 8 Fusion cartridges. It has stood up well to daily use and the chrome finish (apparently the same chrome they use on Rolls Royce grilles) is beautiful.

He is pretty honest about Zamak here:

PickledNorthern likes this.