Edwin Jagger Kelvin vs Merkur Classic

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Christopher Powell, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

theFAT98 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

There is no right answer. Different strokes for different folks.
    I have several Merkur razors. They shave very well and I've had no issues.
    I've never used an Edwin Jagger, but it's rare to hear anything negative.

Get the one you like the looks of first, then later get the other.
    If you find you don't like it, sell or trade on our Classifieds (just be sure to read the rules first).

3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Nothing to add that @swarden43 didn't already say.

RaZorBurn123, AGHisBBS and swarden43 like this.
  4. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

I've never used a Merkur. I have an Edwin Jagger and would highly recommend it.

Christopher Powell likes this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I have an Edwin Jagger DE89, was my first DE. Fantastic razor! Flip a coin. You'll win either way.

Christopher Powell and Robyflexx like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I like the handle on the Kelvin EJ. I have the regular EJ89. Great razor.

7. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Edwin jagger. Just my opinion.

The finish on EJ razors are out of this world.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  8. RaZorBurn123

9. Christopher Powell

I am most likely going with the EJ. What swayed me was the stellar finish, better packaging, and the 5 pack of Derby blades. I'll get the Merkur with my tax refund !!!

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  10. RaZorBurn123

I'm very happy with my EJ, it's one of the few razors I'll never part with. Good choice!!

11. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Both are 3 piece razors. I'd spend another $10 and buy a 2 piece razor.

12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nice! Hope you're one who likes the Derby blades. Not many around here do, there are a few. I would suggest getting a sample pack of blades as soon as you can.

13. Christopher Powell

Yeah I got a sample pack coming too. I actually like Derby blades. Very mild and allow me to make 3 passes if I want without irritation. Generally I only make 2 passes and touch things up.

14. wombadom

wombadom Well-Known Member

15. Christopher Powell

I actually have my eyes set on a Razorock Mission now !!!

Robyflexx likes this.
  16. wombadom

wombadom Well-Known Member

I have a RazoRock Mission. You'll be making a great buy. It's really good.

17. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

@Christopher Powell I've own a RazoRock Mission and I have to admit this razor is pretty good much better than the R89 & DE89 model, the head is a fantastic shaver with a heavy handle and it's a bit longer than the R89 & DE89 model I have to admitted when I was completely blown away when I bought this razor holding in my hand.

The "Mission" has a solid handle of brass and chrome it has deep and well cut knurling that's very slightly milder than the R89 & DE89, and there will never be a grip problem with either holding this razor it's easy peasy. I like the heavy handle because makes it easier to "let the razor do the work" and tends to buffer and smooth out what your muscles can't do.

At first, I found the "Mission" to be nearly identical in performance to the DE89 with a solid handle. As I went on shaving with a Pol-Silver blade I thought that the "Mission" had a bit more "bite" and was perhaps, just a bit more aggressive and it cut through my whiskers and it was smooth as Olive Oil WOW. The difference was very slightly for me and I rather preferred the "Mission" over the R89, DE89 & 34C because the shave was as smooth and bloodless which is fantastic.

The overall construction quality of this razor, the fit and finish on the head and I was surprisingly when holding the heavy solid handle, and the balance in the hand all add up to a fantastic razor. I think the Mission razor will make both an excellent starter for people who are completely new to DE shaving, but also a great (and long-lived) choice for more experienced shavers. This razor seems built to last and has been a pleasure to use so far.

I recommended this razor and you won't be sorry so please give yourself the chance to experience the RazoRock Mission Safety Razor, I hope I've explain enough about this razor because this is my very first review of this product.

Robyflexx likes this.
  18. Peter Mcgee

Peter Mcgee Member

Hi there can anybody tell me the diameter of the Edwin Jagger Kelvin handle please