Edwin Jagger promoting Gilette Fusion/Mach3???

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by IrishShaver, Mar 23, 2016.

1. IrishShaver

IrishShaver New Member

Hi all,

Well today i collected my Edwin Jagger Barley DE89BA11 from the depot - not used it yet, but WOW - definitely different to the Wilkinson Sword Plastic/Metal one I have been using (which at 4.75 Euros seems to this novice to be both excellent value and capable of shaving me without leaving neck rash).

Anyway, on opening the EG presentation box and reading the enclosed pamphlet, I was surprised to read the following in 'The Razor' section:

"Gillette Fusion, Proglide and Gilette Mach 3 have lubrication strips on the blade and are ideal for wet shavers wanting an extra smooth shave. These blade systems have multiple blades and give a great shaving result"

[​IMG]

I thought DE manufacturers would be AGAINST promoting less efficient and overpriced cartridge systems from the Big Boys of the global shaving industry?

What am I missing????

TheManWithNoName and AGHisBBS like this.
  2. IrishShaver

IrishShaver New Member

Ok, Figured it out - Edwin Jagger make razors that fit Gillette cartridges as well as DE razors.

A foot in both camps so to speak..........

AGHisBBS and Herm2502 like this.
  3. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Does EJ carry a line of handles that take the carts?

AGHisBBS and Herm2502 like this.
  4. IrishShaver

IrishShaver New Member

TheManWithNoName, AGHisBBS and Spud like this.
  5. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

AGHisBBS and PLANofMAN like this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    EJ is not the only one who makes aftermarket handles for Mach 3/Fusion. There is a whole industry built around it.

Spud and AGHisBBS like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I think the key is: "Gillette Fusion, Proglide and Gilette Mach 3 have lubrication strips on the blade and are ideal for wet shavers wanting an extra safe, smooth shave."
    I don't know that I ever really cut or nicked myself with a Mach 3 blade. The issue for me was the ultimately the cost. I could get great shaves, I just resented it every time I had to replace a blade. I might still be using them if they were under a buck a blade.

8. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Though the Cartridge razors do give some folks a good shave without razor burn or bumps. It makes me wonder if Gillette/P&G has bought a piece of the popular EJ in order to put that little ad in their packaging, Does the thought of a growing DE shaving community worry them? Just a thought.

NCoxSTL and InspiringK like this.
  9. InspiringK

InspiringK Well-Known Member

I feel there must be some truth to this. It's a shame. I guess I can overlook a company like EJ making some money from also supplying handles to cart razors, it's more that they have clearly gotten into bed with a specific vendor and promotes that vendor's products by name.

Tallships likes this.
  10. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

That's something I'm researching at the moment.....the size of the "traditional" shaving community (DE/Traditional Straight/Artist Club/SE) and its effect on the industry. Gillette is definitely feeling pressure from the Dollar Shave Club, Harry's and others, which is seen in their introduction of the Gillette Shave Club. How much pressure those of us who reject all of those concepts are bringing is a much more interesting topic to me. The fact that so many DE blades continue to be marketed speaks to part of that answer as well. It's just tough to pull legitimate numbers together.

Bama Samurai, opsimath and Tallships like this.
  11. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Gillette introduced a subscription package in 2009 before the start of Dollar Shave Club, and most DE blades are produced by Gillette...

12. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

EJ is a very small company, who probably have much higher profit margins on Mach 3 and Fusion aftermarket handles. Looks like very little thought to me....

13. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Their Fusion handles are a lot more expensive than their DE razors. Maybe they sell more of these than you imagine?

[​IMG]

Bama Samurai likes this.