Either my face eats lather, or. . .

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Jasman, Aug 8, 2013.

1. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

There's no shame in going back to the puck. Do it as often as you need to. Also, forget the "you don't need much" mantra. Soaps last a long time and if you haven't already, you'll soon aquire several years worth of software so running out won't be an issue, so load up!!

As far as boars go, I have a Semogue 1305 that I face lather with all the time with no issue.

2. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

Sorry, I was going by your post and did not research your older posts to find out more about your history and experience.

5Savages likes this.
  3. jaystone

jaystone New Member

I have a boar and find that lathering is easier with cream but plan to invest in a badger because boar is a chore when developin a mud consistency lather with either soap or cream.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Getting any better? Or still having problems?

5. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Bowl lathering makes it marginally thicker, but I'm still re-lathering during passes, and going back to the soap more than once in a 3-pass shave, having loaded the brush initially for nearly a full minute.

6. swarden43

Hmmmm.... I've never timed it but I probably go at it for 2-3 minutes

7. JarmoP

JarmoP New Member

I don't use a boar brush usually. I facelather and it can't hold lather for my 2 passes + a touch up pass.

Regarding a badger brush. It can hold that. I have soft water and if I rinsed my face between passes, it would not hold lather for all those passes. The soft water droplets on my face would upset the lather. And I don't need rinse my face between the passes.

Nothing wrong in going to puck for a reload too.

8. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

After loading the brush and going to the face, there's always some lather left on the puck. I use that for the third pass. As I'm about to lather for that third pass, I'll use my finger to pick up the remaining lather on the puck and wipe it on my face, then lather up for a final time. Depending on how much lather was left behind, sometimes my 3rd pass has the most lather.

9. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

I generally try to get as much of that lather as possible onto my brush before the first pass, often gathering it up on my finger as you suggest. I'm still needing to go back and actively build additional lather to make it through a shave.

10. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Eureka. Mystery solved, perhaps; my lather was too dry. I left a bit of extra water in the bottom of my lathering bowl, and - while initially the lather had the tell-tale bubbles of too much water - continuing to work that lather without adding more product or water soon produced "wildly irresponsible" amounts of meringue-like lather that didn't collapse. It still doesn't look like what LeisureGuy whips up on his face, but it's slick, cushiony, and most important, lasts.

Leo K., PLANofMAN, blanka and 3 others like this.
  11. swarden43

Nice!
    ( Step 6 of my guide ;) )

12. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

I have an old Burma Shave Boar brush that always works just fine, and a new VDH boar brush that does an acceptable job, although it still sheds a little. I have no trouble loading them, but then I always use a bowl or mug. I also tend to not use the glycerin soaps as much as the cream colored variety (Williams or VDH). Is creating the lather on your face a critical for you? It seems to me like it would be much more difficult to create the lather you need with the amount you can get to stick to your face than it is to create the lather in a bowl, then apply it. If it's that you like the feel of the soap on your face, what if you try applying the soap to your face first for the "massage it in" stage. Then use lather you've whipped up in a bowl to go over the soap you've been massaging into your face. That's more or less what I do anyway, although I start from the bowl, apply some, massage, apply more, then shave.

Edit - sorry, apparently I didn't see there was a second page to the posts...