Enders Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Misphit, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

It snuck up on me, I don't know how it happened but it did and I became an Enders Razor Fan. I haven't used one yet, but the colors and styling have captured me and I find myself snapping them up whenever I see them. It is so pervasive that I saw the bell from half a football field away and dropped the dollar for it with nary a thought. I want to use one, but the blades are so rare that I hesitate to break open a new pack to try it lest I be disappointed. I wish more new razors would borrow from the Durham Enders model. Sleek lines and bright colors that draw the eye and make you want to take em home with you. For shaving I will continue to use my Merkur but the Enders will be front and center in the collection.

Enders 1.jpg Enders 2.jpg Enders 3.jpg

Adonis, markjnewcomb, BigMark and 4 others like this.
  2. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

I've been around the shave forums for a couple years now and have never heard or seen these. They look cool. To bad blades are so hard to come buy or I'd consider picking one up. Cool look to them.

Mr. Shaverman and Misphit like this.
  3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I see them come up for sale now and again and I also love their look.
    Had they been more practical to use these days I would have picked one up.

Your collection is stunning.

Misphit likes this.
  4. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Never heard of these before, but they look great. What kind of blades do they take?

Misphit likes this.
  5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

[​IMG]

Misphit likes this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I enjoy cobbling together Frankenrazors (usually more resembling Hammer Films than Universal, admittedly), and liked the curved Enders handle so much I tried coming up with something with a DE or SE head. Never could make it work and gave up. But a mint pack of their blades would definitely be worth trying, if you can find them.

Misphit likes this.
  7. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Thanks.

I agree, I have 4 mint packs for 5 razors. I will need at least a few more before I break them open.

I just secured a few extra packs of Durham Duplex blades. It helps that they had a straight as well as hoe type. Wish Durham Enders did.

8. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

And of course a black one appeared on the bay as a buy it now right after I posted. I had too...

Enders Black.jpg

Darkbulb likes this.
  9. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

This is the kind of post that I enjoy. I just got educated. I've never seen these before either. They're very interesting.

10. burnout961

burnout961 Well-Known Member

I ran across a couple of the black ones in cardboard boxes a while back at an antique mall. They wanted $30 each. I passed when I realized they used proprietary blades. Neat looking razor, but it wouldn't get much use with me.

11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Maybe someone will one day cobble up a frankenrazor using the handle and a way to attach a DE/SE head :)

12. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I've never seen those either, very cool looking! No idea when they were made, but they've got a 60's look to them. The wavy handle reminds me of the old Hot Wheels logo

13. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Yeah, thats the nice thing about collecting, you buy what moves you. I may use many of the razors I bought but these just strike that special chord with me. The art deco design and the graceful wave just make them seem a step above IMHO.

burnout961 likes this.
  14. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

I want to thank @HoosierTrooper for sending me a 5 pack of blades with no [payment necessary. While the box was in rough shape, the blades were in amazing condition and will allow me to try one of these razors for tomorrows shave. It's why I like it here, the people you meet make it so worthwhile.

gorgo2, burnout961 and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  15. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    @Misphit
    Would you be so kind as to take a careful side shot of that handle? I've been toying with ideas for making custom handles from wood. I'm hoping to copy that profile in maple. There might be enough meat there to sink some hex nuts to accept a standard 10-32 head!

Hmm... I'm flashing on a freshly shined Gillette new head gleaming from the top of a maple "Enders" handle. WAIT!... WALNUT! Shiny copper, dark wood. Yeah, that's the ticket! :drool:

Can you help a brother out?

(I tried some Google-fu, but pics are all from coolest angle.)

Thanks!
    S

Darkbulb likes this.
  16. maltedmilk

Article Team
    "Borrowed" these profile images from the bay.
    enders duo.jpg enders duo 2.jpg

Note the two different ends! Looks like the flat end could stand up on its own feet... maybe.

How wide is the handle (side-to-side, not front-to-back)?

17. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Have I got a deal for you all. I have a brand new, in the box, ENDERS. I received it as a PIF and I really have no use for it. The first person to send me their address in a PM will get it. I think it would be a fine addition to someones collection.
    scaledenders.jpg

Misphit likes this.
  18. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Maltedmike got it. Enjoy!

Misphit likes this.
  19. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Of course, let me know in a PM if you need measurements too....

Havent tried standing it, but it is a pretty balanced razor, I don't see ant difficulty with doing that. Will check after I get home.

20. maltedmilk

Article Team
    Well, since I was quick on the draw and fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of @BigT 's offer, I can wait and copy up close and personal! :D

Looks like he is sending the "swoop" tail rather than the flat bottomed one. Cool enough! I betcha I can cut the swoop off of the wood version I plan on making and it will be close to a genuine flat-bottom Enders.

It will also be good to have the real deal in hand for guessing the head angle for a DE. I hope I'll have fewer trials and errors this way!