English Gillettes

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Gillette_Man, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Although I have yet to hold one in my hand, everybody that owns an English Gillette says that they are heavier and better built than their American counterparts. Proof of that would certainly be some pictures that Chris (MTgrayling) recently posted of two English flare tip Super Speeds that were Rhodium plated. Can anybody theorize why there is such a difference in construction quality? Were the English more discerning about their razors? Was this the result of competing against Wilkinson?

Also, why do they rarely pop up for sale? Were the production runs real small? Once in a while, I see a Rocket for sale, and once in a great while, an Aristocrat, but never the more "common" razors (flare tip, red tip, blue tip, tech). I have even perused eBay UK, but there is really nothing to see there either.

2. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Truly a GLOBAL junkie, huh? :)

3. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

A true junkie knows no limits. ;)

4. JimR

JimR Active Member

I have an English tech. It's aluminum, so it's not at all heavy or specially finished. It's a good shaver, though, very forgiving.

5. Hi Rick,

I believe what you're going through is just a short phase. That information will be very reassuring to Mrs Blue Monkey.

Martin

6. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

The differences in construction and feel are many between the two countries.

The British Gillette's have a one piece post and side plate unit whereas the US made Super Speeds have a post made of thinner metal that was folded over and soldered on end caps. I think this is where the more solid feel of Rocket's comes from. Of course the way the two razors function is totally different too. The US SS's have a handle that stays the same length when open or closed. The Rocket's TTO knob recedes into the handle as the doors are opened like a bolt and nut. The solid knob at the bottom of the handle of the 40's style Rocket's, Parat's and HD's adds weight where I think its beneficial.

Flare tip Rocket, English SS, American SS
    [​IMG]

If there is a rule Gillette followed it would be that anything goes. Here is what I call an "American Rocket" that shows that, well, anything goes. I have a hunch it was made right after the war, since it has no date code, and made with left over parts inspected in the USA when the British plant was just getting back on it's feet. It may have also been manufactured to perfect the way the English Gillette's are constructed. Who really knows??

[​IMG]

Then you have oddball razors like the Australian #48 which blended both construction techniques.

Aristocrat Jr., Australian #48
    [​IMG]

The English had a proclivity to use aluminum more often than we did over here and in the shot below you can see the one piece nickel plated brass post and side plate unit.

40's style Rocket, Paperclip (aluminum Rocket)
    [​IMG]

Here's a couple shots that show the heavier flat base plate that many older English made Tech's have, very substantial.

English 4pc. Tech, Canadian 4pc. Tech
    [​IMG]

English Tech, American Tech
    [​IMG]

Now as for why the disparity in numbers to be found nowadays between the USA and UK, I really don't have much of an explanation. The USA is a much larger country in size as well as population and that may have something to do with it. Many of the Rocket's made in England were shipped to countries around the globe, Australia, Argentina, Canada and much of Europe and South America. Super Speed's made in America mainly stayed here.

7. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Thanks for the great pics, Chris! I still wonder why the English razors were made with more solid construction though. I guess that will be a mystery that will continue to plague mankind! ;)

8. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Well it could be that Gillette in England was trying to keep up with Wilkinson as you claim, or just because that's what the public wanted. Gillette did tailor razors to meet certain demographics such as the thinner diameter handles that are common in Germany but not really anywhere else. I have a German made Slim Twist/Knack that demonstrates this as well as a German made Parat.

Now you have me wondering about this mystery!

9. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I think you're right about demographics. My wilkinson 7-day razor has a one-piece handle, and is heavier and more solid feeling than even my President or Aristocrats. So, unless someone has a better thoery, I believe English Gillettes were made to a higher standard because that was what they were used to having.

[​IMG]

Even the chrome plating on the case is impressive. It looks like new, even though this set is probably well over 50 years old.

[​IMG]

10. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Wow, now that is gorgeous! What kind of blades does it take? The only Wilkinson I have is a sticky....oh no I feel another AD coming on!!

11. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Check it out here.