English Leather Discontinued

Discussion in 'Scents' started by Masonjarjar, Dec 26, 2017.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I had some, also, many years ago. There are reasons we no longer use it!

brit, BamaT and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  2. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Yeah but if you click on the sold ones under that listing, the most they ever sold for were $34.95. Still high in my opinion.

Um Creamy Leather. The MEM Co. stuff smelled much better than the Dana stuff that is currently being sold.

3. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Lime
    Wind Drift
    Racquet Club
    Timberline

I saw a listing the other day that had another scent that I hadn’t heard of but I don’t recall the name at the moment.
    My bottle of Racquet Club doesn’t smell very good so I don’t know if it hasn’t aged well or if it always smelled bad.
    My bottle of Wind Drift smells like it used to possibly smell good but it too seems to have aged poorly.
    Timberline and Lime are both scents that I like. I’ve got a couple bottles of Lime in good shape and multiple bottles of Timberline that I picked up NOS (they still have the little plastic stoppers). Timberline is my favorite of the optional EL scents.

brit, Keithmax, RyX and 2 others like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Will this do?

1230171207-2124x1195.jpg

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

You can post your impression of the outrageous price. It's OK to post a link to a BIN (Buy It Now) listing from a website because the price is fixed. To avoid shilling or drawing attention to push up a price, no links to "open" auctions.

From basenotes.net;

1. Top Notes
      • Citrus
    2. Heart Notes
      • Mossy notes
    3. Base notes
      • Woody and Leather notes

Keithmax, gorgo2 and Jim99 like this.
  6. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

I'll try to remember that. Thanks for letting me know, I appreciate it.:)

RyX likes this.
  7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Totally fine. You did not link.

I feel like at that price shipping might ought to be included.

Keithmax, Tiredricefarmer and RyX like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

And a steak dinner, in the city of your choice.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

9. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

For a few years my signature scent was EL cologne and a/s mixed with Colonia 1800 Tobacco(tobacco flower) cologne and put into a small travel size spray bottle.It made a very nice a'/s with staying power.

John Beeman, RyX and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  10. John Beeman

I read this with interest and tried a few squirts of each this morning.
    What was your mix ratio?

urrlord and RyX like this.
  11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :scared003:

12. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

One can ask whatever they feel like asking on eBay and such, getting said asking price is a different story.
    People have become so misinformed about everyday questions since the internet, if I see or read it it must be true. :eatdrink047:

BamaT and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  13. John Beeman

Is that a true statement? ;)

BamaT, EnglishChannel and urrlord like this.
  14. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

I think it was 50%EL a/s ,25% EL cologne,25%Tobacco cologne.
    After shaving a spray on each cheek,under that neck and rub it in.I think I added 8-9 drops of glycerin .You can drop it in a pocket and reapply if needed.;)

RyX and John Beeman like this.
  15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I just picked this up this afternoon ...
    7c7211a9-fcac-4c83-9e45-6567e0278428_1.00d1f3c6540ead1705a273ca11bdbaee.jpeg

16. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I never had the boxed set, but it seemed like everyone always wanted to give me the regular scent as gifts in the early 70’s. Wasn’t my favorite then, maybe I need to check out the reformulated version. Back then it was Hai Karate or nothing, LOL. Funny, I never got a chance to try out those self defense moves against the ladies. :angry017:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    RyX and Enrico like this.
  17. Shaveathon

Shaveathon Member

I just read about it possibly being discontinued on this blog post: https://frompyrgos.blogspot.com/search?q=sterling

There's always the chance they're reformulating it again. It was also my signature scent in the early 1970's before I discovered Aramis in college later in the decade (and man, did I go all in on that - Aramis cologne, shampoo, conditioner, aftershave),

Back then I had the large bottle of English Leather from Mem that came in a wooden box (see 2nd image below). I didn't have a bottle for 40 years until I decided to buy 2 for myself and a friend over a year ago, when Target had their annual fragrance sales. Here's a comparison to what I paid at Target online in comparison to the current Ebay prices (what Dana has left online is below that).

[​IMG]

This is the version I used to have that's currently available on Ebay:

upload_2018-2-5_8-57-21.png

Paul Turner and RyX like this.
  18. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Thanks for including the history.

Tiredricefarmer and RyX like this.
  19. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I have half a bottle left maybe it’ll be worth $30 bucks in 30 years:)

20. brit

brit in a box

i vaguely remember the timberline .my dad had some when i was i kid in the seventies.