Equinox Shavette that takes a full DE Blade on Amazon

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by GeneralKinetics, Sep 1, 2015.

1. McHale

McHale Well-Known Member

It arrived today and I'll be giving it a go tomorrow. Wish me luck!

RyX and Bama Samurai like this.
  2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Good luck....most of us root for the razor though.

RyX likes this.
  3. dkeester

dkeester Well-Known Member

I have one of these. It is a decent shaver, but you have to be careful of the sliding blade latch.

RyX and Keithmax like this.
  4. McHale

McHale Well-Known Member

OK. Just gave it it's inaugural run using one of the Derby blades that shipped with it. Some thoughts:

1. I still don't like Derby blades
    2. While I *DID* manage to cut whiskers, I've never had so many weepers in my entire life. And I don't mean in one shave, I mean TOTAL.
    3. My 2nd pass was with my Rockwell 6s
    4. I'm assuming my issues were due to my inexperience. I took it slow, kept a shallow blade angle, and did short strokes. Even if I get better at it, I can't imagine preferring this to a safety razor.
    5. After a week or so I'll try it again with a better blade and see what my thoughts are.

RyX and Spyder like this.
  5. dkeester

dkeester Well-Known Member

I hope you get better results with a better blade. It has been a while since I last used mine, so I don't remember exactly which blade I used, but I think it was either an Astra SP or a GSB.

I suggest trying it with your favorite go-to blade.

Spyder likes this.
  6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

It was angle and pressure. It takes a lot of practice.

RyX, McHale and Spyder like this.
  7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yup. I would not blame the blade yet. These things take time and practice. I would bet that once it comes all together you will love it at least as much as a DE. Changing the blade will not fix the technique problems. Keep at it though. Well worth the effort in my opinion!!

RyX likes this.
  8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Have you attained profiency on a traditional straight razor?

I ask because....

It's worth noting that shavette is far more tedious than the old style. I do both well, and learned SR first. I feel like shavette would have been really hard as a first open blade shave. most people who try shavette first give up in frustration.

RyX likes this.