ER 1912

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Kypros Christodoulides, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

Dear friends,
    I have recently been introduced to the Gem blade via the ER 1912 razor. I do find the shave smooth and highly efficient. I do have a lot of choice when it comes to SE and DE razors, but with the ER, my mother and my girlfriend noticed that my skin looks extra smooth and radiant when I shave with it on a fresh Gem blade.
    Personally I do feel the difference as well, but I never said anything to them, they just came out in the cold and affirmed what I felt.
    Why is that?

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    The ladies just know skin. It is a deep mystery. Embrace it.

3. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

They want something!

4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Radiant looking skin...

You didn't use a vintage Gem Radium-Shave blade, did you?

5. Kypros Christodoulides

No, just a regular Gem blade bought from Connaught. It suprises me that the Gem blade will only last me 3-4 shaves tops.

6. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Are you using the carbon steel blades or the stainless steel or the PTFE coated blades?

7. Kypros Christodoulides

8. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

I've experienced similar results with Gem SEs versus DEs.

All things being equal, I get a smoother, "deeper" shave from all my Gem SEs. 12 hours later, still smooth and nicely presntable.

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yep.

Zykris likes this.
  10. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Sounds like we're all kinda partial to the Gems. They've worked very well in my own ER British 1912. They make a great combo...both zippy little easy shavers that are just tried and true.

11. Kypros Christodoulides

The question being, are there any other Gem vintage razors that shave better than the British made ER 1912? I know it's a pure case of YMMV, but I just cannot refrain from asking.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Jim99 like this.
  12. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Some of the squat head 1912's had the blade stops farther forward, and they are super efficient and close shavers! The best of the '12's in my opinion.

I'll try to get pix up later today. :happy088:

13. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

346x0f4.jpg
    I love the head angle and size of the British 1912. I find the large, flat head surface area makes it natural and easy to maintain the correct angle. For me, just letting the flat glide across works perfectly. Its not just my favorite Gem, it's my favorite razor.

TobyC and Kypros Christodoulides like this.
  14. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

It's hard to capture in a pic, but the blade is farther forward over the comb on some of the squat head 1912's. What is a squat head? It's a lower profile head to fit in the thin cigarette style cases, had a shorter handle too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Kypros Christodoulides

Thank you for explaining the difference. Now do I have to get a squat head?

TobyC likes this.
  16. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

No, regular '12's are great! :happy088:

17. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I'll try this again.

100_2341_1_20.jpg 100_2342_20.jpg 100_2343_20.jpg 100_2344_20.jpg 100_2345_20.jpg