Ever have a blade "go bad" in the middle of a shave?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by McGrande, Feb 15, 2017.

1. McGrande

McGrande Well-Known Member

I've read about this happening to others and today it happened to me. First time in years of DE shaving.
    I've had blades that just didn't work well with my face or razor from the start, but I have a set rotation of blades that work great. I've also had a razor's head loose after an over zealous baggage handler's treatment of my checked luggage and the nest morning's shave was going poorly until I figured out what was wrong.

So, my normal routine (notice how "rut" is hiding in routine?) consists of a new blade every Sunday. I get 7 very good shaves from the blades in my rotation and I've been using a Fatip razor exclusively for almost a year now. Pretty much use Proraso creams and either a Semogue 620 boar brush or a RazoRock Disruptor synthetic. I feel my technique has matured to the point where it's unusual if I get a weeper let alone a nick or cut.

The blade in my rotation are: (I'm using up the non asterisked ones as they were in samplers and I have bulks of the others)
    Astra SP *
    Personna Red *
    Voskhod
    Rapira Lux *
    Polsilver SI
    Wilkinson Sword (German)

Seven great, smooth, irritation free shaves every morning........until today. On my fourth shave with a Voskhod and right after my right cheek was done, I started on my left and it was tugging like crazy. I checked the tightness of the head and it was fine. No alignment issues as my Fatip is of the newer generation and I'm carefull when loading in a new blade. I soldiered on and finished the shave, but it was very unpleasant. Very surprising as I really like Voskhod blades.

Sorry for the longwinded post about a pretty minor matter, but it really surprised me.

2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I have found that it is usually something I am doing when a shave goes bad. It may be a distraction, such as a question from my wife, or I get in a hurry because there's work to do, or I'm just tired and not focusing.

Sent via mobile - Chris

3. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

My first and only pack of Wilkinson Swords did that to me. I started off with a blade, got half through my shave to have it become very dull. Switched to another Wilkinson and it happened again.

Switched to my Astra SP for the remainder of the shave and now they're the only blades I use.

Bama Samurai, Carbide Mike and brit like this.
  4. hamoncan

hamoncan Member

Blame the wife! Valentine's sure is over.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

lightcs1776 likes this.
  5. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Ha ha ha. And Valentines Eve consisted of my wife (of just shy of 26 years) listening to me help our youngest with his 9th grade honors social studies homework. Yep, real life at our house. Grin.

Sent via mobile - Chris

6. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

I've had that happen when I didn't properly tighten the razor head or the lather dried out but I've never had a blade suddenly become "unsharp" in the middle of a shave.

7. McGrande

McGrande Well-Known Member

I agree, it was strange. Slapped in a new Polsilver SI this morning and I'm back to normal.

Looking at the 4 shave Voskhod blade, there is some, what looks like "pitting" or maybe rust? along the business end of the blade. Maybe it slipped through the coating process. Who knows. Like I said before, no big deal. I still have about 50 Voskhods left so I'll give them another go when they come around in my rotation.

8. brit

brit in a box

that has happened to me recently with wilkinsons.my other buddy also,we all bought blades at the same drug store.