Ever Ready 300 (black and clear) restore

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by dangermouse, Sep 24, 2017.

1. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I removed the knot from this ER300. Before I put in a new knot, I plan to colour the top of the clear resin. Which colour might you choose and do you think I should stick with white for the lettering; might this clash with the colour? The internal diameter was 24mm; I've since rounded that out to 25.5mm, giving me a little room to glue a new knot. Any ideas where I can buy about 10 -20 different knot types, to see which look good. I'm only a hobbyist.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Looking good. I'm not good with color schemes, so I will leave that up to others.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

dangermouse and jimjo1031 like this.
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

If it were mine I go with a nice 24mm synthetic Tuxedo from Maggards. For less than $9 it's hard to go wrong.
    [​IMG]

As for the lettering I'd go with white to make it all come together.
    A little Turtle wax rubbing compound on the handle and it will really shine.

4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Guess I would keep it black and clear with silver or white lettering. I'd also use a black and white knot from Maggard, as they have them at good prices.

Zykris and dangermouse like this.
  5. dangermouse

Yep - that's exactly how I feel!

6. dangermouse

I've got your nasty guys:

That was meant to read - I've got to say guys: I don't like the tuxedo knot so much, although it would go with the black and clear. No doubt.

Zykris likes this.
  7. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

One thing that the Maggard knot has over the Tuxedo, it seems to have a little more backbone to it, while the Tuxedo has a softer feel to it. Just my opinion of course.

targa88 likes this.
  8. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Nice going Mark, I cant wait to see it finished

dangermouse likes this.
  9. dangermouse

Thanks Dean. :)

10. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Ive not restored a brush is quite a few years now, but knot prices do seem good these days esp if you go down the synthetic route, I currently have 2 synthetic brushes (only used one) because it works so well I just have not reached for anything else.

Hurry up and post some finished pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

11. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

If you take a sharpie and color the top of the clear base section, it will help hide the plug of the knot. I have done that a few times and it comes out well.

12. dangermouse

I'm wondering where the best place to pick up knots this side of the pond might be. I'd like a few different ones to try. BTW. Now your back from Poland - Have you got anything lovely you want to sell me :)

13. dangermouse

A Sharpie! Well I never. I assume they are permanent. I have considered using a diamond (glittery and sparkly) acrylic nail polish or glow in the dark nail polish (varnish). I don't know if it can be applied without using a special base coat first (I'm single and can't remember what my last partner did with her nails) and whether that would impede the pattern of the nail varnish because you'd be essentially viewing it upside down.

PanChango likes this.
  14. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I would use black Testors paint in the hole and white in the letters. I'm a boar guy, so I'll tell ya to go to TGN or crack open one of these.

dangermouse likes this.
  15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'm not sure your suppliers you have available in the UK. Sorry I forgot where you resided. :)

dangermouse likes this.
  16. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

18. dangermouse

Wow, that's cheap.

TobyC likes this.
  19. dangermouse

Thanks for the links, guys. I appreciate it. They're all cheap.

Enrico and TobyC like this.
  20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I've been known to sound like a little bird ... CHEAP, CHEAP CHEAP. :D

dangermouse likes this.