Ever seen one of these??

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by skvinson, Mar 3, 2011.

1. skvinson

skvinson New Member

I got this off Ebay recently. I was looking for a Damaskeene. I gave this one a quick look and sent an email to the Seller asking what it said inside when he flipped open/up the top. He replied that it didn't have a top. When I looked closer, I saw that. It seemed unusual, so I bought it. Now, I don't know exactly what it is. I haven't come across a GEM like this. There is a Star Kampfe just like it. I'm wondering what model of GEM it is.

Thanks!

The 2nd and 4th pix show it from the top. The 4th one has a blade inserted. It has a tab that flips up and down to hold the blade, along with two bent tabs the blade sits under.

Attached Files:

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

It seems like it should have a cap.

The blade is canted in there. Does the spring hold the blade securely?

3. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

4. skvinson

skvinson New Member

It is exactly the same as that Star razor, except a GEM. ... The spring holds the blade pretty well. You can definitely move it with you finger if you try. I'll see tomorrow if it is secure enough to shave with. ... Think I'll visit the TOS site and see how common (or not) a GEM version is.

Thanks!

5. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

I remember reading a few posts about those before...if I remember right they use a wedge blade, that is why the regular SE blade is loose.

6. skvinson

skvinson New Member

You got me searching. I couldn't find a lot. So, not sure if it is meant for wedges or not. I did see one thread about razors with loose tabs (that were meant for modern SE blades). The person tightened them with needle nose pliers. I'll find out tomorrow how it does.

7. skvinson

skvinson New Member

I shaved with it this morning (pretty good shave... most of the not so good is due mainly to my still learning technique). I put a GEM Blue Star in it. As I mentioned above, the latch on the top/back holds the blade fairly secure, but it can be moved with my finger. There are hooks/tabs to hold the tip of the razor. Also there are raised tabs that fit in the slots on the side of the blade. The problem is (i.e., the reason why it is not more secure) is that the tabs still allow some play side to side. If they were closer together, that would be eliminated. But, it really didn't matter. During the process of a shave, the blade does not move.

8. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

I wonder if you could use one of those thick, ribless SE blades from Tandy Leather?

9. skvinson

skvinson New Member

I've never heard of them. Are they shave quality?

10. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

11. skvinson

skvinson New Member

Thanks. ... Standard SE blades work well enough. They don't move w. normal shaving.