Ever think about selling your collection?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by The Zook, Dec 23, 2008.

1. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Klaus, who needs the car, I got a Porsche 944! :D (and a great wife!)

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    +1

3. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Oh, well, that's a completely different situation now :D

4. Generally very good advice !

5. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

+1!

6. blackstangal

blackstangal Member

I kinda stopped selling and found my collection growing quite rapidly:confused:.Since then I really started enjoying str8 shaving more and more.Its like starting all over again but better.I used to test a lot of razors,but now I get to use all my favorites and get to know other razors not just for one shave.I even pull out and try my Vintage DEs and injectors again. I kinda look at the way prices dropped as a way to tell SWMBO as an excuse why I dont sell them.Iv'e sold ones that I really didnt want to sell and now she doesnt bug me.:bounce015:bounce015:bounce015:signs120

7. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

No, never thought about selling it. Oh, I have and will sell certain razors that I don't use or just don't like. For me, the important thing is not selling razors but avoiding buying "just one more" razor. Seems that I have been able to accomplish that. Don't even take eBay auctions or BST offers seriously anymore. Hey, I have beat RAD! :happy108

8. Mojo88

Mojo88 New Member

I did sell several razors and wish I had kept a few, but with the exception of a couple I use all of mine in rotation. I have it down to about 10 razors from the 30 or so that I had.

9. rwb

rwb Member

yes i would sell al of them but one then i would get three coustoms that i would keep for ever.

10. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

yes i do. id keep my favorites though.

11. AwNix

AwNix Member

<Statement Deleted By ChemErik>. I pretty much keep anything that doesn't work. Not in the business trade. I hate business, hate consumerism, hate advertising.

12. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

And after three years and about five months, another thread resurfaces. Well, it's a relevant topic around here.

I've given away fifteen of the razors I used to have; if you buy razors in lots, you end up with some duplicates. If you buy several cheap modern razors, you end up with some that you simply don't want. I know exactly how much I spent on all of them together, and although it's not a huge sum, it would be worth having. Of course I've contemplated how much of it I might get back by selling some, most or even all of the remainder.

Right now, I wouldn't sell, or give away, anything else. The razors either get used, might hypothetically get used, or just interest me as examples of shaving technology. And nobody's getting my shaving mugs.:happy005:

IAmTheJody likes this.
  13. huck1680

huck1680 Great Northern CanUkrainian

Nah, I have way too much fun collecting them and I do use them as well. Once the shave den is finished I'll be putting them all on display.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  14. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    "Do you ever think about selling your collection?"

Only when I'm broke. I have to keep reminding myself that it isn't a collection, it's my retirement fund- aka non-liquid assets. (except the aftershaves, I guess they would be liquid assets).

15. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

Yep, but I got no takers.

It was a long shot and probably not such a bad thing as the price was probably less than they are worth.

16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

"Do you ever think about selling your collection?"

All the time. As much as I enjoy them, they're just things.

17. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

maybe in 6 years

18. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I call first dibs! :bounce015::happy097:

19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'll sell tomorrow.

(fortunately it's never "tomorrow", but always "today" ;))

GDCarrington likes this.
  20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Six years...2018...you plan on moving to the Off-World Colonies? The Pris pleasure models are great but you gotta pass the physical first.

burnout961 likes this.