Exclusive: A hands-on, first look at The Blackland razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Jun 9, 2015.

1. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Man it is so awesome to wake up to people enjoying their Blackbirds and posting about it on FB, Instagram, and the forums. So far it seems that users are pleased. I hope the trend continues!

obturador, Troy M and Robyflexx like this.
  2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I'm looking forward to seeing Blackbirds pop up in SOTD photos :)

3. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

this mornings SOTD:

DSCN2522.jpg

Robyflexx, obturador, Omelmad and 3 others like this.
  4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

..and there they are... :)

(Btw, love that silver-black combo look!)

JR Reyes and DLP like this.
  5. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

6. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

Yes that was an Octoberfest WW. I really like that brush.

JR Reyes and Robyflexx like this.
  7. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I like the look of the razor so much and after reading all the positive posts about it I went ahead and ordered one. I'm going with the black oxide long handle, if you go to order one the website for these says that they are pre order but after a pm with @ShaneS they are available now except for the long stainless handle. As I have posted in another thread I'm super excited to have this awesome new razor!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
    PLANofMAN and Robyflexx like this.
  8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I don't think you'll be disappointed - it's a fantastic razor :D

[​IMG]

9. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I also received one of the Kickstarter black oxide Blackbirds. After my 2nd shave with it, I'm all done. It's made with very sharp corners on the bottom blade plate. Perhaps my model has a manufacturing defect. But it does look like the others I've seen pictures of, including on the Blackland.com website. Those sharp corners make shaving with this razor one of the most uncomfortable shaving experiences of my life. It feels like shaving with the corners of the blade exposed (they're not). I've written the maker and asked about this design issue. So unless my particular razor is defective, I would not recommend this razor for anyone who enjoys shaving. And of course YMMV.

PLANofMAN and clint64 like this.
  10. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I guess I understand what you are saying, and it is too bad it isn't going to work out for you, but I don't personally have any problems keeping the corners, or the safety bar in general, off my face. I do think that is what's causing the drag issues people are talking about though. I don't think it has anything to do with the finish. You can start off with a too shallow angle, basically riding the cap on your face, and it doesn't drag, but if you steepen up too much, that safety bar has a sharp enough angle "drag" right into your skin. This razor has what may be the most specific shaving angle I have used.

clint64 and Robyflexx like this.
  11. PickledNorthern

12. Number six

Number six Well-Known Member

One of the great things about the whole wet shaving experience is that there are so many products and variations, and there are no sure things. I'm sorry to hear that the Blackbird didn't work for you as expected, but I hope you do have razor(s) that you love to use. Unless there is a defect I'm sure someone will be glad to take it off your hands.
    Thanks for your review.

13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

That's a tad harsh - assuming it's not defective - I'm a person who enjoys shaving and I really enjoy the Blackbird.
    Your description made me think of the review by NickShaves who also commented on the sharp corners and in the video I noticed he used an angle that I think is way to shallow for the blackbird. Unless you have done it already I'd suggest shaving one more time and this time let the angled head be flat against your face when you shave (not the top of the cap but the angled part on its side).
    Regardless, sorry to hear it didn't work out for you as I think it's a stellar razor :)
    As @Number six mentioned I'm pretty sure you could sell it for close to what you paid for it.
    Best of luck

14. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    No manufacturing defects here, I'm afraid. I was wondering when the first negative review would pop up. I honestly expected one sooner, due to the sharp edges on the razor. There are some shavers out there who ride the guard, rather than the top cap. On a vintage Gillette, that isn't a problem. With the Blackbird, it makes for what I can only imagine is a brutal shave.

I'm leaning towards agreeing with @PickledNorthern, this razor does seem to have the narrowest sweet spot/shaving angle of any razor I've ever used.

Redfisher and Robyflexx like this.
  15. obturador

obturador Active Member

That TSE guy on YouTube made a similar point. I decided to buy it thinking that a tight tolerance for the shaving angle would be a good idea for a beginner.

In your estimation am I on the right track?

16. PickledNorthern

I think that for someone who has time to enjoy their shave, or a new shaver who won't frustrate easily, this razor is an excellent choice.

I don't see this as being the razor for somebody who has to stagger into the bathroom with their coffee at 4:30 in the morning and whip out a quick shave before rushing off to work.

I also wonder if the handle length makes a bit of a difference here. With the short handle, you are necessarily choked way up on it, so zero pressure almost means negative pressure with muscle control. This might also be part of the reason why I am perceiving it to be so mild.

With the longer handle, and a more natural (to me) grip, you are allowing the weight of the razor to rest on your face. That weight alone might be enough to create the drag.

I think I will try a longer handle today, just to see if there is a difference to me.

17. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I noticed the drag more with the longer handle, but I didn't notice it when I shaved my cousin's beard and gave him his weekly head shave.

I asked him if he felt any drag, and he said "nope," so I'm starting to think it was an angle issue that I'm learning to correct.

Edit: He wants one of these really bad. Full set, box and all. He was rather disappointed when I told him the box was a one time thing. He also liked the brush & razor stand. He told me that he's going to order the long and short handle variants and keep his fingers crossed that a box becomes available at some future date.

He's now having a minor crisis, as I forgot to mention the black oxide version. So now he's torn with indecision on which to get. Lol.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    Robyflexx likes this.
  18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Maybe he can buy Jake's? if his is black :)

Redfisher and Robyflexx like this.
  19. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Ah, but did @Jake order the "Box?"
    If so, I think we can probably swing a sale.

*on the classifieds, of course.

Redfisher likes this.
  20. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Finally nailed down the "drag" issue. It was simply a case of using too much pressure.

So for future reference, if you feel drag, lighten up your touch. This razor is heavier than any I've used before, which threw me off a bit.

I have it dialed in 100% now. Lovely razor.

Darkbulb, cmorris357, Troy M and 3 others like this.