Exclusive: A hands-on, first look at The Blackland razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Porksexy

Porksexy New Member

Nice review. I was hoping for a better detailed shave summary. What it boils down to is the razor gave you a smooth shave and looks nice. So far I am not overly impressed as this comes of as just another new razor on the market. Standard did those aluminum machine cut razors that looked sleek and sexy, but were too light, so it's nice to now this has weight to it. How would you compare this razor to the Feather AS-D2, which imo, is the best razor on the market.

2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I believe there's an extended shaving video-review coming out tomorrow/Saturday - by a very well known wetshaver - that might be able to address some of those questions.
    I'll let @ShaneS give any details on that.

Unfortunately, believe it or not, the Feather is one of the few stainless steel razors I don't have yet :) I do apologize if the shaving aspects of the review were a bit generic - I don't write reviews for a living and just wanted to share how it shaved to me. I find it to be very hard to describe how a razor shaves as everyone's thoughts on aggression, what a BBS is, etc differs a bit.

My thoughts on the pure shaving aspects of it were basically:
    - Mild, very efficient, interesting head angles that caused me to angle it more like a SE razor, very little audible feedback, almost impossible to cut myself - and clean-shaven in two passes w/out any touch-ups needed. Not as mild as a Pils - but not as aggressive as a Tradere/Weber.

Oh - and welcome to TSD! Don't forget to sign up for the monthly new-member-PIF that I'm sure @RaZorBurn123 can tell you more about :)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    wristwatchb, Tjebbe, Porksexy and 2 others like this.
  3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Shave Report

A very nice shave with the Blackland razor this morning.
    Since I started out relatively 'clean' as far as stubble goes all it took was one WTG pass and I was out the door.

I lathered up some Arko and this time I counted the times I rinsed the razor: four. So very much in line with how I rinse any razor I use. Maybe it's more habitual than based on need.
    After the one pass I felt my face with my hands and it was very smooth. No need for any touch-ups.
    Good thing as I was running late.

[​IMG]

wristwatchb, clint64 and ShaneS like this.
  4. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

#7.
    I'm Kickstarter ignorant, but it looks like it's off to a good start.

5. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I'm #29 on the early bird deal! Didn't think there'd be any of those left by the time I got home from work! I like that I didn't have to decide on handle quite yet. I think my ideal handle would be right in the middle of the two choices so I'll have to think about that one.

Darkbulb likes this.
  6. Porksexy

Porksexy New Member

The Feather AS-D2 is probably the best DE, I've ever used. I've been wet shaving for over 7 years now and have gone through dozens of razors ranging from the cheap to the expensive. I did a year of straight shaving as well, but in the end prefer the control of a DE. I don't mean to sound very critical for something that hasn't been out yet, but I have seen and tried a lot of new razors that have come out by start up companies, Rockwell, Bevel, Above The Tie, and a few others. All of these were very well made razors, very modern, sleek looking, and costing $75 or more. However, for me, they didn't shave any better than my Merkur 34G or my various vintage Gillettes (ball end tech, super speed, black beauty adjustable). And again, that's just me. Looking forward to seeing the video. In the end, I may end up picking one up. Somehow, someway, I always give in because I like to be able to say, I've tried that.

7. feeltheburn

@Darkbulb would you mind taking a picture showing where the razor balances with the long handle? Something like this...
    [​IMG]
    I like a razor to balance about where my thumb and forefinger hold it so would just like to get an idea where this one will balance.

8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Something like this?

[​IMG]

9. feeltheburn

Perfect. Thank you for doing that. I think it'll be the long handle for me.

Darkbulb likes this.
  10. jakie55

jakie55 Well-Known Member

I like the long handle too. One can always choke up on the handle, but it's pretty hard to go longer on a short handle......

ShaneS and Darkbulb like this.
  11. feeltheburn

For me it's more about balance. It looks like with over an inch less handle, the short handled version will probably balance real close to that flared out part at the top of the handle. So the short handle will probably make the razor feel a little head-heavy. I prefer to hold close to the balance point. That makes it easier for me to keep the pressure off. If you like to "let the weight of the razor do the work", you might like the short handle.

Redfisher and ShaneS like this.
  12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Never actually thought of it that way. That might explain why I prefer longer handles myself. Thanks

13. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Good point about balance. Personally, I think I prefer the shorty. I grip up by the head anyway so the extra length doesn't add a whole lot to me. I made both handles because everyone has their preference.

By the way, funded 20% on day one! Thank you to those here that have backed already.

Darkbulb likes this.
  14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Congrats on getting to 20%
    Will you post here when the reviewer posts his video-review?

15. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Definitely. Should be up tonight or tomorrow I believe.

Darkbulb likes this.
  16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Super short shave report
    Had a great shave this morning with the Blackland Blackbird. Two passes and I was clean/smooth and ready to face the world.

[​IMG]

wristwatchb, clint64 and ShaneS like this.
  17. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Good review from Nick last night. Check it out!

macaronus, wristwatchb and Darkbulb like this.
  18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Thanks that was really interesting to watch - and also to see the short handle.

First impressions;
    - I realize I completely omitted to mention the Blackbird name of the razor and the design similarities/inspirations relating to the plane (oops... :)),
    - we seem to share the same thoughts on aggression and machining,
    - it looks like Nick is shaving at a slightly different angle than I was using the razor (I went with a more shallow angle) and I think that explains the different take on how audible the razor is and how he perceived that sharp angle (which I don't even feel due to the more shallow angle I use).

Really cool video and probably gives much more light on the razor than my review attempt :)

macaronus, wristwatchb and ShaneS like this.
  19. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Don't worry about the name. It doesn't really matter. Nick did take a higher angle than I typically do, but I'm glad the he still wound up getting a close shave.

20. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    A lot of people have been hesitant to try the black oxide finish or just flat out don't like it. I understand both those stances so I've decided to make the razor available in a brushed stainless finish. If you've already backed, you can still change your mind so don't worry!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PLANofMAN, macaronus, clint64 and 2 others like this.