Expensive isn't always better!

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by JBMAN1974, Aug 22, 2017.

1. JBMAN1974

JBMAN1974 Member

I've been using Tallow and Steel's West Indies soap for the past couple weeks and it's one the best soaps I've used. I've been using NOS AOS soaps and Valobra for the past 4 years. When it comes to working up a good lather however, I actually get better results using a cheap AOS travel brush. I have an M&F brush that costs an arm and a leg. The brush is so dense that it actually eats into the lather that's already on my face. I must be doing something wrong. Of course it feels nicer, but the AOS actually does a better job. I don't get it.

IMAG0436.jpg IMAG0437.jpg

2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    It's difficult to imagine that after 4 years you are doing "anything wrong" Perhaps you could try more paintbrush strokes. The denser M&F brush will trap significantly more lather. Try a small squeeze at the bottom of the knot to encourage some release of your lather. Again, light paintbrush strokes to finish.

3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have the same problem with very dense knots.

5. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

And that's why I don't care for dense knots. Everyone I've had has been a lather hog. And since I like to splay the brush a bit, the denser a brush is the harder it is to do that.

I've pretty much gone to synthetics with a preference for the Plisson style.

Eeyore and jmudrick like this.
  6. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Does...not...compute...

battle.munky and Bobcat like this.
  7. JBMAN1974

JBMAN1974 Member

It doesn't compute does it, but the brush is so dense; it's really hard to work up a lather. For creams, it lathers up like crazy. Soaps are a another story. Don't get me wrong, it still works. Just not like the brush I that I had sitting in my closet. I almost threw it away.

8. gwsmallwood

I was kidding. I meant AoS and Cheap are two words that you don't commonly see in the same sentence. The usual descriptor is Overpriced.

BigMark83, Bobcat and Jorvaljr like this.
  9. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Not vintage AOS Tallow soaps...

jmudrick likes this.
  10. JBMAN1974

JBMAN1974 Member

You can say that again. That place is a joke. They just re-brand everything and jack up the price. I went in there the other day for kicks and they tried to sell me a sample size body wash for $10. They charge $13 for 10 Gillette Platinum blades. Ridiculous!

11. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I'm very new to this but can I assume most Art of Shaving products are overpriced? Their after shave balm sounds wonderful but THE PRICE :O

12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Dense brushes require a much longer break in time. 30-60 uses, sometimes more. My D0-1 from Shavemac was a bear to beak in. Worth it in the end. Perhaps that is the issue?

13. gwsmallwood

Only you can decide, but many of us would agree that you can find similar quality products for better prices via artisans online. The main drawback with the artisan products is that most of them don't have brick and mortar store fronts, which means you can't check out the scents first hand. Many do offer samples though.

Dansco likes this.
  14. JBMAN1974

JBMAN1974 Member

Well it definitely doesn't have that many. I just got it four months ago and I don't shave every day. 3 times a week. It's not that I can't shave every day, but the quality of the shaves are just better when I let two or three days pass in between shaves. I used to have a Shavemac also, but it wasn't nearly as bad as this one. I guess I'll just to have to wait. It's just with soaps though, it's amazing with creams. Which would be great, but I don't use creams.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  15. JBMAN1974

JBMAN1974 Member

None of their products are worth the price. The after-shave balm is very good; but not for $40. Their new fragrances are really really good also, especially the OUD. Again, it's taxed. Their biggest rip-offs are their skin and hair products. $50 for a shampoo and conditioner. No way! Like someone, in every case; there are countless brands that are superior and far cheaper.

16. JBMAN1974

JBMAN1974 Member

That tip actually worked by the way, but it still isn't as effective as the other brush. The guy I bought it from actually told me not to use circular strokes, and paint it on. It's a relatively new brush also, so that could be it.

Primotenore likes this.
  17. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

When an item is not tagged, you know it's expensive. I do however plan on trying their creams, eventually.

18. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I just stumbled across this thread(I like your avatar by the way). I guess I've been lucky with my choice of brushes
    IMG_0994.JPG
    The most expensive is the Omega 6212 on the far left. I paid $60 for it on Clearance from WCS. Cheapest was the '55 Rubberset 303, $10 at the fleamarket. All of 'em are great performers.

19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Expensive isn't always better.

[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

BigMark83 likes this.
  20. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

It is also going to require a significantly larger amount of product to give you the same result/feel.